Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help me understand whitewalls

Why do you run whitewalls?

• My wife likes whitewalls.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
e8204d8dcc5bbebf7a9db33a03b4c27e-.jpg

3f59b6b10a4d60ca57e99a92421d65d6-.jpg

After 35 years of sophistication went for the Bad Boy look and sound. Maybe its just a late midlife crisis. Don't know but turns a lot more heads now than before.:lou

Old Bull said:
After 35 years of sophistication went for the Bad Boy look and sound. Maybe its just a late midlife crisis. Don't know but turns a lot more heads now than before.:lou

You know "Ole Bull " I think the whites would have looked very sharp on your car with those great looking new wheels you now have. ;) But then that's just my opinion.

Stepinwolf

Looks great to me with either set - Very pretty car. -John

I'm thinking "gangster" walls for the C5.:L

Remo:cool

Remo said:
I'm thinking "gangster" walls for the C5.:L

Remo:cool

Some 24" wheels would be cool too Remo.

Hey Old Bull,

I gotta know. I've been studying your pictures and it's obvious that the car has been lowered. It really shows in comparison to Wally's '62 further up the thread. It sets just right to my way of thinking so I want to know how you did it. Cut coils, Fatman dropped spindles? Lowering blocks in the rear? What size tires are you running on the Halibrands? Those are real knock off Hals aren't they? What size? Buy them recently? I haven't seen anything but bolt ons on their site lately. I see they still have the adapters listed under the Cobra wheels though.

Sorry for the non-whitewall questions but this looks to be the perfect C1 cure for the wide white desease.

Tom

Tom
Back in the late 60's I lowered my 60 by having the rear springs re-arched I also had them add a leaf to make it stiffer I still remember the name of the place (Mercer spring in Trenton NJ) the front I cut the coils, took me two times to get that part right ;)

Tom Bryant said:
Hey Old Bull,

I gotta know. I've been studying your pictures and it's obvious that the car has been lowered. It really shows in comparison to Wally's '62 further up the thread. It sets just right to my way of thinking so I want to know how you did it. Cut coils, Fatman dropped spindles? Lowering blocks in the rear? What size tires are you running on the Halibrands? Those are real knock off Hals aren't they? What size? Buy them recently? I haven't seen anything but bolt ons on their site lately. I see they still have the adapters listed under the Cobra wheels though.

Sorry for the non-whitewall questions but this looks to be the perfect C1 cure for the wide white desease.

Tom

The wheels are real knock offs by PS Engineering (Phil Schmidt). Took about 6 months to convince to build them for me. I also had to machine the front hubs to fit the adapters. Fronts are 15 x 6 and rears are 15 x 7s. Tires are Yokohama AVS Intermediates size 215 65R-15s. I lowered the car years ago by cutting one coil off of the front and Fabricating longer shackles for the rear spring anchors. Lowering blocks would also work. :beer

P.S. Youall have some beautiful Corvettes. Think I'm in love with 67 Heaven's.

I have a pair of nos front coils I bought from Chevy for the car in '71. I have been thinking of cutting the originals since one is a tad lower than the other already. I would still have the new ones if I ever didn't like it.

I have also been thinking about the Fatman Fabrication lowered uprights. I think you get 2" with them. Putting them in with the new springs would keep all of the suspension travel but cutting the coils would be easier and a lot cheaper.

I have looked at the PS wheels before too. They sure have the right period look for a solid axle.

Here's how my '60 has morphed since I've had it.

As purchased, it had a white top that looks a lot better in the picture than it did in real life and semi-wide whitewalls. I really liked this size with the hub caps!

60blk2.jpg

New Top, heading toward the sinister look.

IMG_2104.jpg

New wheels, white walls flipped inside and blackened. The car looks faster sitting still in a lot of folks opinions. As a previous poster stated about his red C-1, it turns a lot more heads now.

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

I've since replaced the tires which were 225's. They were rubbing when I was jockeying in the driveway and even looked too big. I much prefer life with the 205's I put on as replacements.

I went with the blackwalls on my '60, but the '66 is another story. I just don't think you can beat whitewalls with knock offs.
106-0699_IMG.jpg

106-0698_IMG.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

Vette66

I am with you, guy. I have the same setup on my '65. Can't beat that look (my humble opinion)

:beer

68`s Had Blackwalls From The Factory.

I realize that this is a C1 and C2 thread as I have already entered my 62 and showing blackwalls.:D But some C3 people have jumped in also. Therefore if I remember correctly this picture was taken in March 1968 the day I brought the 68 home from the dealer. No white letters, no whitewalls, and no redlines. Solid blackwalls! So for you purests or resto buffs in the C3 line, sorry they had BLACKWALLS as OEM tires too. And If I want to keep my 68 original, you know what. So there, make um blackwalls! :L

68new8.jpg

Wally,

I guess it's just us "bad boyz" who like blackwalls. ;)

I'm trying to imagine a new L-88 buyer sliding down the options list with the salesman, and spotting the whitewall option. :eek

To the salesman, he says, "Oh yeah! I'll have some of those.....NOT!" ;LOL

Rock on. :_rock

I have to respectfully disagree with some here. I think blackwalls on knockoffs are better.

tire.jpg

car.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom