Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help Needed with My 82

Rob96WVU

Corvette
1982 Two-tone White/Silver
Started my 82 this morning and drove to Bloomington Gold. Car started like normal and drove without any problems. Got to the show, walked it for about an hour and when I went to leave, the car started but then stalled immediately. I tried to start it again...it turned over but then stalled after 2 or 3 seconds. I tried this another few times with no luck (every time it would start but then stall). I decided to rev the car a bit after it turned over to see if I could stop if from stalling....by reving it to about 1500 rpms for about 20 or 30 seconds. This time the car stayed running and remained ok (running normal). I drove the car home (about 30 miles) without any problems. I got the car into my garage, shut it down and noticed a strong gas smell. I closed the garage door and noticed a really strong gas smell. I decided to try to start her up again and had the same problem as before (stalled after trying to start). Any clue what could be wrong? The car only has 6500 miles on it. Purchased it about 2 years ago and have never had any mechanical problems. I'm not very mechanically inclined....any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

This scares me,I've got an 82CE.I hope somebody will chime in with some help.One thing you didn't mention.Did your check engine light come on?Might be your idle posion sencer?You might have to get a shop to run any codes on the computer.82 was only the second year for the computer and they are pretty crude by todays standards but the do manage fuel into the cross fire injectors.

There are a number of thing that can cause this problem but you REALLY need to have a scanner put on the car to properly test it.
One problem that is well known on 82s is the ORIGINAL "Coolant Temprature Sensor", in the front of the intake manifold, going bad and sending a signal to the computer that the engine is at 40 degrees below zero, sending a gusher of gas into the engine when starting. This is EASY to check, with a scanner. The replacment sensor comes with a new wiring harness that gets spliced into the exisiting wires.

I know that you don't want to change anything from original on a 6,500 mile "survivor" but somethimes we have no choice in the matter if we want to actually DRIVE the car.

Good idea Jim.They make these cars very hard to work on.At least for me.I'm used to the late 60's early 70's where you pop the hood and go at it.It's one of two things.Gas or electric.;shrug

I really wish i could help, but my 82 has a carburetor on it. I agree, new engines are too hard to work on.

Get the car to a scanner and see if it can tell you anything. Do you have the Shop Manual for the 82? It has a lot of information about how to solve specific problems. I got one on eBay, and it has saved me a lot of time and effort.

I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be my timing chain. But if your car only has 6k miles, then that is probably not the case.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

It probably is the CTS sensor like Jim said. It will be real rich, and will probably show up as a code 45.

On the 82's, the fuel pressure stays up in the fuel lines long after you shut it off, since the fuel line is pressurized from the tank to the pressure regulator on the rear Throttle Body.
My suspicion is that one of your injectors is sticking open after you shut the engine off, and continues to dribble down into the Throttle Body until the pressure is relieved in the fuel line. So when you try to start it again, the engine is flooded. And you will smell gas in the air cleaner as several ounces of gas will be in the intake.
If it happens again, take off the air cleaner and watch to see if there's still gas dripping from the injector)s). It won't take too long to drain the fuel line, in fact at 12-15 PSI, it will spray out before you can get the air cleaner off, with just a few drips left.

If it hasn't been done yet. Sounds like it's time to install an 85 fuel pump.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom