Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP! No front targa top bolts?????

J

Joe Deb Vette

I'm really confused and need some help. Have an aftermarket targa top that was rattling, so I took the front trim pieces off to install the top properly (as Melrose Tops advises on their website) and I may be nuts, but as I go to tighten the top, there are no bolts visible? How is that possible? Does anyone have any photos of their front targa tops with the roof off? If I recall my old top, there were 2 bolts visible when the roof was off, and with my new top there are none. But I don't understand where they could have gone as I've tightened the top down before?

Hope this all makes sense, have the vette apart in my driveway with a ton of snow all around, and I'm perplexed.

I suppose that it's possible you loosened the bolts so much that they fell into the car when you lifted off the top.

Thanks, but nothing fell down, and I just double checked and nothing is on the inside of the car. Is it possible they simply fell out which is why the top was rattling so much? That makes no sense though either, as I would have noticed bolts falling from the roof. I can't figure this out....

Has this top rattled from the time that you last put it in? If so then maybe the bolts were not put on in front.;shrug

Has this top rattled from the time that you last put it in? If so then maybe the bolts were not put on in front.;shrug

The top never was perfect, but I remember the top ratching down when I tightened it, so there had to have been bolts there at some point. I guess I simply now need to buy bolts....the whole think has me scratching my head...;shrug

The top never was perfect, but I remember the top ratching down when I tightened it, so there had to have been bolts there at some point. I guess I simply now need to buy bolts....the whole think has me scratching my head...;shrug
The only way them Bolts will come out is if the inside moldings are down!!:thumb
Better Look under the seats a little better,I'll bet their there!!:D

The only way them Bolts will come out is if the inside moldings are down!!:thumb

Putting on the jacket, going back out to look! 30 degrees out...not fun work in this weather....hope you're right!

Shoot...no luck, no bolts to be found. I guess I just have to order new ones online somewhere? Or do you think Home Cheapo or Lowes might have bolts I could use? Not sure what size or what they even look like since they disappeared....I must have gremlins here in NJ. This whole thing has me puzzled.

Shoot...no luck, no bolts to be found. I guess I just have to order new ones online somewhere? Or do you think Home Cheapo or Lowes might have bolts I could use? Not sure what size or what they even look like since they disappeared....I must have gremlins here in NJ. This whole thing has me puzzled.

If anyone know what size bolts I should be looking for as far as replacement bolts for the front targa top (going to check out a hardware store to see if they have some) I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I don't know the size but I see that they have them at Mid America for 9.99 each.

C4 Corvette Targa Top Sliders, Brackets, Bolts and Inserts 1984-1996 - Mid America Motorworks

Seems pretty steep for a bolt, but hey, it's still only $20 to fix your problem and when was the last time you fixed something and it only cost you $20?

Thanks for the help, and great advice....$20 is a drop in the hat with some of the upgrades I have planned, so hopefully this is a simple fix.

Thanks again!

I know this might sound dumb but here goes. Are the bolts still in place but out of sight. When you loosen them they dont fall out, they stay inside the hole. With the top off take your wrench and push up on the bolt like you were going to thighten it. If the bolts that mount the tabs to the top are missing you can get them at ACE Hardware. I think they are either 6 or 8 mm x 1.25.

I know this might sound dumb but here goes. Are the bolts still in place but out of sight. When you loosen them they dont fall out, they stay inside the hole. With the top off take your wrench and push up on the bolt like you were going to thighten it. If the bolts that mount the tabs to the top are missing you can get them at ACE Hardware. I think they are either 6 or 8 mm x 1.25.

Thanks! I'll see what Home Cheapo has. Bolts are definitely gone, took the top off and realized they were missing which is why the top was not latching down....will keep everyone apprised (if they care) :)

Has anyone had access to the car? Service dept? Inspection? Kids? Friends who do pranks? Ex wife?;LOL

They just simply DO NOT fall out on their own! BTW, is it a Thompson Astro top? They are JUNK! So maybe it CAN fall out!

Since it IS Joisey....tick anyone off who might be sending a message?!!

Has anyone had access to the car? Service dept? Inspection? Kids? Friends who do pranks? Ex wife?;LOL

They just simply DO NOT fall out on their own! BTW, is it a Thompson Astro top? They are JUNK! So maybe it CAN fall out!

Since it IS Joisey....tick anyone off who might be sending a message?!!

Ha! Yes, rough state, gotta watch your targa bolts. No one has had access to the car, has been sitting in the garage. Still can't figure this out. Last time I went to a show was in the fall, but the weather was cool and had the top on....since it is an Astro top that has turned out not to be the best of quality, I wonder if that has something to do with it. I ordered replacement bolts and a sleeve (that holds them in place) today from Melrose. I'll probably end up buying a Melrose top too in the near future, as the Astro top quality is not at all what I expected.

Ha! Yes, rough state, gotta watch your targa bolts. No one has had access to the car, has been sitting in the garage. Still can't figure this out. Last time I went to a show was in the fall, but the weather was cool and had the top on....since it is an Astro top that has turned out not to be the best of quality, I wonder if that has something to do with it. I ordered replacement bolts and a sleeve (that holds them in place) today from Melrose. I'll probably end up buying a Melrose top too in the near future, as the Astro top quality is not at all what I expected.

Yeah, and Mr. Thompson who owns Astro Top is a dick.

plain old bolts wont work (err, if i rember right) they have a bevel so they center the top as they are tightned up. My 87 has the front 2 stripped (the allen wrench part) so I ordered 2 new ones. Thye are not just plain old bolts.

plain old bolts wont work (err, if i rember right) they have a bevel so they center the top as they are tightned up. My 87 has the front 2 stripped (the allen wrench part) so I ordered 2 new ones. Thye are not just plain old bolts.

Thanks. Ordered them from Melrose, already got them and installed. They also come with a clip to hold them in place, so you're right, they aren't simply plain old bolts....installed and no rattles, so I'm a happy camper.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom