Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP! No Instrument, tail or fog lights?

C

clubjoe

My dash, tail, parking and fog lights do not come on when I turn on the switch. The head lights do come on. After about 10-15 minutes all of a sudden the dash lights will pop on and everything will also be on. I have checked the fuses and reseated them just in case. The running lights seem to be working fine. Any ideas what I could check?
Thanks,
JOE

Hmmmmmmm

Under the pass carpet is the interior electrical panel.

In there are relay 38 for the right side front turn & park lamps....

And 40 is for the left side..

Check the CR CONT fuse#20 this is power to the Daytime running lamp control module

Check the APPROACH fuse #2

Check the PK/T/LP fuse @#6

If the INSIDE mirror lights work ( for map reading) then you switch is OK on the dash.

Any error codes......

Vig!

All the fuses check out okay. The turn signals, stop lights, interior map lights and even the passing lights work fine. In fact the passing lights are the fog lights that come on when I pull the turn signal stalk just like they are supposed to. The problem is when I turn on the headlights they come on but not tail lights, instrument lights or fog lights. After about 15 minutes they will just all pop on.

JOE

And you bought this car....

a) Dealer NEW

b) Private party

c) Well...I know this guy.. who works for.....

Still thinking about this.

Vig!

Help No Parking/tail/dash Lgts, Come On But Headlambs Do!!!

clubjoe said:
My dash, tail, parking and fog lights do not come on when I turn on the switch. The head lights do come on. After about 10-15 minutes all of a sudden the dash lights will pop on and everything will also be on. I have checked the fuses and reseated them just in case. The running lights seem to be working fine. Any ideas what I could check?
Thanks,
JOE

Any help on this would be greatly appreicatred. I have the same problem other than they won't come on at all now. It will take spells and may come on 20 times out 20 and then all of a sudden they don't work again. Now they won't come on at all. I suspect the switch but didn't understand why they would work perfectly sometimes and then not at all. If I turn the switch all the way on the headlams will open and come on. No dash, tail, parking lgts. and etc. this is on a 2000 C-5; this is driving me absolutely crazy!!! :crazy

;help Please let me know what your diagnoses would be on something like this; I have not checked the switches because as I said they might come on many times in a row and then all of a sudden they don't. HELP;helpHELP, this is driving me nuts trying to figure it out....

Thanks,
Bill

It might be a loose ground. I would search this and other forums for info on chassis ground. I recall (but don't remember where-sorry) reading articles/posts from owners that clean electrical grounds and reported solving problems.

04cmnthru said:
It might be a loose ground. I would search this and other forums for info on chassis ground. I recall (but don't remember where-sorry) reading articles/posts from owners that clean electrical grounds and reported solving problems.

Thanks and I did consider that being sometimes it is intermitant thing; but all of a sudden they don't come on at all. I need to get it on a lift to check the grounds under the car more than likely. I haven't looked at the fuses since they don't come on at all now so I am going to do that today.

Thanks and if you come up with anything else let me know.

Bill :w

I think that some of the grounds are accessable from above. In any case, I did surf for the link that was posted by a forum member (may have been another forum). It had pix along with instructions. I will look again andwill post again if I find it. Also, I recall owners having electrical problems with a corroded harness that is located under the battery. You may want to remove the battery and check it out. I would also make sure the battery cables dont have corrosion on them.

04cmnthru said:
I think that some of the grounds are accessable from above. In any case, I did surf for the link that was posted by a forum member (may have been another forum). It had pix along with instructions. I will look again andwill post again if I find it. Also, I recall owners having electrical problems with a corroded harness that is located under the battery. You may want to remove the battery and check it out. I would also make sure the battery cables dont have corrosion on them.

Thanks and I have checked under the battery at the wiring and etc. Looked pretty clean, no corrosion there, installed a new DELCO this year. Any thing you find would be appreciated. Being that they don't come on at all makes me think I may have final blew a fuse but who knows. Going to get it out and check at least this today. I guess it could still be in the switch but why would it have worked sometimes perfectly and other times not? Do you know if you have to pull the steering wheel to replace the switch lever (turn/head lamp switch on lft side of steering column)?

Thanks,

Hi Iam new to the forum. My car did the very same thing as yours.it was the switch,(stalk) as they call it.Dealer fixed it under my ext. warr. or it would have been $425.Everthing works great now ,hope this helps.

js1999 said:
Hi Iam new to the forum. My car did the very same thing as yours.it was the switch,(stalk) as they call it.Dealer fixed it under my ext. warr. or it would have been $425.Everthing works great now ,hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply back; I suspected that was the problem to start with. What puzzled me was that it would work great for long periods of times and then it would take spells and not work. I could usually turn it off and on 5 or 6 times and then it would work again for a long period of time. But it won't even do that now.

I am going to price the switch and install it myself; that is providing you don't have to pull the steering wheel and it appears you don't, do you know if you have to pull the wheel or not?

Thanks again and welcome to the group; I know you will enjoy it; there are a lot of great members on this forum.

I don't know if the wheel has to come off or not,the dealer did mine.Mine did the same thing it would work fine for awhile then stop somtimes it would come after 2 or 3 minutes but it's fixed now. Let us know how it went, good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom