Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

help on my 1986

R

robser

Hi, my name is Roberto, I own since 1990 an 1986 C4, i brought it from Canada to Italy and.... there was almoost impossible to make the italian Title and therefore the car has been unused for many years, now I can use it but... it has only 50K km. and a lot's of noises, I need help from peolple who already have experience on C4, the paint is not anymo9re bright, should I paint it again, the interior are ok, but how can I polish the Dash panel so that it looks new?

Thanks everyone and I hope not to bore you with my questions

bye

Roberto

No question goes unanswered!

Welcome to CAC Roberto,

You will find the friendly people here love to answer questions and help with Corvette info!
What color is the interior?
How long did the 86 sit unused?
What noises are you hearing?
I order products out of Corvette catalogs. I have used Ecklers, Zips, MidAmerica and Corvette Central.
We have lots of C4 experienced people here, and I'll let them answer your other questions.

Silver

Roberto,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

I wouldn't paint the car just yet. Chances are, if the finish is dull, it's slightly oxidized. I would try and locate a good quality "Cleaner Wax" such as Meguiars or 3M. The cleaner wax should remove most of the oxidation. Next, I would apply a coat of "Glaze". Glaze contains special oils that "feed" the paint and replenish the oils that have been lost over time. Glaze is like a polish....it's what gives a car that wet look. Once you've applied a coat of glaze, seal the car with one or two coats of wax. Wax is like a sealant and will help prevent the oils you just fed back into the paint from getting oxidized once again.

Speaking from experience, I highly recommend 3M's line of Professional Car Care products as well as Meguiars Professional Line which come in the tan bottles. Meguiars glaze is #7 and the wax is #26. Off hand, I don't have the 3M numbers in front of me. Others have raved about Zaino but I have never used it and can't speak for how well it works.

Now for the interior. I use Meguiars plastic and vinyl cleaner and revitalizer on the dash board and door panels. For the leather seats, I use Lexol as well as Connolly Hide Leather "Food". The steering wheel, shifter boot and seats are the only leather products in the car. The rest is either vinyl or plastic.

Since the car has been sitting for a while, I would also "feed" the weatherstripping and other rubber components in and around the engine with Meguiars Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner. Just dampen a small section of a rag and apply a light coat over the weatherstripping. Hope this helps.

robser Welcome to The Corvette Action Center

You will find the help you need here at the CAC. Like Silver said "no question goes unanswered" we really try to help here.
  1. Noise:... A little more description will help. Are they engine, body, suspension or drive train type noises?
  2. Paint:... There are a number of products on the U.S. market that can help save a fading or lack luster paint job... I use a product made in Germany called Klasse'. Lot of Corvette owners over here use a product called Zanio. Depending upon the Color of your car can make a big difference too. If it is a Silver Color.. there may be enough Ultra Violet damage from neglect that a paint job is the only saving grace..
  3. Dash:... The same here as with the Paint.. Many products out there. Find what works for you. [/list=1]

If you can go to a car show over there I'm sure you will find some help locally. If not Keep Coming back and the Members here will help.

Nice having you aboard ;) enjoy the ride, and take a little time to scout out the place here. Across the top of the page are drop down menu's with lots of information that may help too.

from my experience...86 paint sucks...gm had clearcoat problems..anyone else wanna chime in?

welcome

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Roberto. Nice to hear from someone who can legally streach his Corvettes legs.

Tom

My 86 is still nice. The red paint has darkened over the years, but it still looks good.

I have all the manuals and parts books for the 86. If you need info, I can help!!

Rick

Some noises I had

Are the noises there at rest or when the car is moving?
I had some noises in the roof panel area while driving on rough roads (plenty of rough roads in New England), make sure the roof panel mounting bolts are tight, especially the plates on the front of the roof panelhad, I found this out by accident, when I tightened them the squeaking noise from the roof completely went away.
You should generally go over the car interior and under the chassis and check out everything, make sure everything is tightened down to the correct specs.

Re: No question goes unanswered!

78SilvAnniv said:
Welcome to CAC Roberto,

You will find the friendly people here love to answer questions and help with Corvette info!

What color is the interior? Graphitr (I Think)

How long did the 86 sit unused? (almost 10 years)

What noises are you hearing?

from the front right wheel a kind of toc toc
from the transmission when is cold an ither tic tic that seems to be inside the car

I order products out of Corvette catalogs. I have used Ecklers, Zips, MidAmerica and Corvette Central.
We have lots of C4 experienced people here, and I'll let them answer your other questions.

thanks a lot and sorry for the late answer
Silver

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom