Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP! Snapped a bolt off the valve cover!

MARLTON LT-4

Corvette
1976 resto mod
I have a '94 LT-1 that I replaced the valve cover gaskets on tonight and I overtightend the valve cover bolt (passenger side furthest one back) and snapped it!!! #*&^%$#@@ There is a threaded stud that comes up from the head that broke just below the were the bolt ends when fully tight. A few questions...

How hard is to replace this treaded stud that comes up from the head?

Do you think that these parts(bolt and stud) are easy to get??

Will the engine be swimming in oil if take it 8 miles down the road for my mechanic to fix it?? The bolt sits in the rubber seal but is of course not able to tighten!

QUICK ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!! :confused

CP

a low tow maybe....

Sorry to read about your unfortunate bit of bad luck.

Don't know the answer to your bolt question or if the engine bay will be drenched in oil, but if you opt to have your mechanic fix it maybe best to have it towed (maybe for free) slowly there with the front wheels in the cradle hoisted up only about 3" and towed very slowly. I had that done once when I ran the Vette out of gas and it worked fine. As a CAA member here (think AAA) the tow was free as part of the membership service and the driver and I got caught up on all the latest sports......We agreed by the way I did not want him slopping gas all over the back of the car using his huge gas can and he liked the idea of handing the CAA a bigger bill for a tow versus a gas up. Of course, a flat bed tow truck is best but $$$$$.
Good luck
RG

Slap some duct tape over the bolt and drive it down. You shouldn't get much oil during a short trip like that.

A good mechanic should be able to remove the broken stud and replace it fairly easily.

Jeb said:
Slap some duct tape over the bolt and drive it down. You shouldn't get much oil during a short trip like that.

A good mechanic should be able to remove the broken stud and replace it fairly easily.
Great idea!! Thanks!! :beer

It should be no big deal to replace the stud. Simply remove the valve cover and see how much stud is exposed. If there is enough, try GENTLY with a pair of vise grips to remove it. If that won't work, get a stud remover of the right size, preferably from a tool truck, but the ones at Sears will be okay for occasional use.

If there is not enough of the stud exposed for either of the above methods, Cover everything except the stud and use an angle grinder to grind the stud flat or flush if necessary, then drill and use an EaseOut.

Good luck,

OUCH!!!!!!

I thought I heard some yelling and screaming coming from your neck of the woods last night.

Hope all works out for you buddy!!! Let me know.

See ya at the party in December.

Chris

Chrisr said:
OUCH!!!!!!

I thought I heard some yelling and screaming coming from your neck of the woods last night.

Hope all works out for you buddy!!! Let me know.

See ya at the party in December.

Chris
Got it to the mechanic this morning with a little help from the duct tape god. This is HER car not mine. If it was I would be having siezures. Are you going to Harold's on Sunday?? It is better than watching the Eagles lose. :W

CP

MBDiagMan said:
It should be no big deal to replace the stud. Simply remove the valve cover and see how much stud is exposed. If there is enough, try GENTLY with a pair of vise grips to remove it. If that won't work, get a stud remover of the right size, preferably from a tool truck, but the ones at Sears will be okay for occasional use.

If there is not enough of the stud exposed for either of the above methods, Cover everything except the stud and use an angle grinder to grind the stud flat or flush if necessary, then drill and use an EaseOut.

Good luck,
Thanks man!! :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom