Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve cover replacement

joshwilson3

I'm pulling the valve covers to replace the gaskets and to paint them.

I knew what to expect and have read the articles on how to, but ran into some unexpected problems.

I'm doing the driver side first, then I'll do the passenger side. I ended up having to remove the smog pump brace, as the cover hit the brace. I was thinking all I had to do was loosen the screw.

But I hade big trouble on the other end as the cover kept hitting the metal vacuum pipe for the brake booster. I haven't seen this mentioned in other writeups. Anyways, I had to rnbolt the line from the Plenum. Though, the pipe runs through a piece that is bolted to the back of the head. I couldn't figure out how to get to the bolt so I could pull the metal line. So, I pushed and pulled the metal pipe, then somehow got the cover out by pulling it up and to the front of the engine.

I have no idea how I'm getting the cover back on as that wire harness was pulled tight to and well as that pipe.

CIMG3420.jpg

I also see a problem on the passenger side. There is a metal piece that sticks over the cover on the back side of the head at the fire wall. It holds the spark plug wires. I have no idea how I'm getting the cover off with that piece mounted. I haven't see that piece mentioned in the writeups. I'll have to get a pic tommorrow.

Though, I was expecting to do alot of gasket scrapping. But the gasket was an orange rubber piece. It looks similar to the blue Felpro piece that I got at Autozone. I hope the Felpro does a better job and doesn't leak.

I've walked this road, too. Basically all I've done is look to see what's in the way and remove it. In my case, working on my 96 Vette, using 1/4" taller valve covers in order to clear the poly locks, I even had to remove the alternator.

Removing all the interfering parts/wires prevents breaking a wire connection, etc. Just gotta do what ya gotta do.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

I've walked this road, too. Basically all I've done is look to see what's in the way and remove it. In my case, working on my 96 Vette, using 1/4" taller valve covers in order to clear the poly locks, I even had to remove the alternator.

Removing all the interfering parts/wires prevents breaking a wire connection, etc. Just gotta do what ya gotta do.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Right, but I wasn't able to remove that metal pipe on the driver side. It had a bolt on the back of the head. I could'nt get to it. I'm hoping I'll be able to remove that piece on the passenger side, there may be a little more room to get a tool back there.

I think I'm pretty much done stripping the driver valve cover. I still need to run some steel wool inside the groove areas and around the screw holes as there is still some pink stuff left. And I'll need to scrap the emblem circle knoch thing some more.

You can see black stuff all over, I think that is the factory primer or something. I couldn't get all of that off, but it is smooth, so I say it will be fine.

I'll be using Zinc Chromate for my primer, then I'll be using Rustoleum High Temp silver for the color. I may also do the bracket for the alternator and smog pump.

CIMG3477.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom