Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help Something wrong with new paint job!

• Thread starter Thread starter Bender
  • Start date Start date
Paint

Find out if they used a sealing primer before they painted the car. Typically if a sealer is not used what is under the paint will bleed through. This is especially true of a base coat, clear coat paint job which most are today. There are also various grades of clear coats used, certain hardener and flex agent requirements, and other factors.
If they cut polished the car after painting, it could also be a thin clear coat spot that they sanded down to the base coat and there is no longer any clear to bring out the lustre.
How old is the paint job? If it's recent it will continue to shrink and show all the defects under the new paint if it wasn't done properly. I'm speaking from personal experiences....

Its 3 days old. Also he did use a sealer and everything. It looks great if you stand back but if you get close you see dull spots.

So none of this stuff is going to come out? He told me to get rubbing compound for the dull spots. Didnt see the other spots until I got it home.

I would think that once you start working on that paint job he might claim that you did it. If it was mine I would tell him he is the pro that you paid for a paint job and he needs to do what ever it takes to make it right.

After an accident, I took mine to a Chevy dealer for repair and painting of the hood. When I picked it up, it looked as though someone drug their sleeve or a hose through wet paint in several spots. I returned it to them after about two weeks and asked that it be repaired. They were apologetic and redid the car. I told them not to hurry but to get it right. It took a few days but now you cannot tell the difference between their work and factory paint. Because of that I recommend their work.

Well he is taking it back to repaint a spot and he said he is going to get the car right. I just wanted to know what those spots on the car are. I mean is it dust or sand trapped in the paint? Paint bleeding through?

Hey FL Guy, I live in FL where are you?

Bender said:
http://usera.imagecave.com/EliteLamer/000_0123.JPG

Looks great huh?

Well WTF is this!

http://usera.imagecave.com/EliteLamer/000_0126.JPG

There are like 5 spots like that. You cant see them unless you get down and look. There are dull spots he said was compound but I cant seem to get them out. I am taking it back soon to work out a bubble so I would like to know what I am talking about when I point this stuff out.

It looks like he shot the paint too dry in the side vents and tried to rub it out without wet sanding it. It needs to be sanded down and the panel painted again.

I live in Gainesville. hmm damnit. He has no more paint left so I guess that means he is going to have to buy some more paint. What about the dull spots is that really going to rub out? I dont have any pics of the dull spots since they are hard to see.

I always dislike when someone like me comes in and says what I'm about to say...but there has to be all kinds of opinions to choose from.

If he told you to take a rubbing compound to it just three days after painting it, I'd wonder where the hell he learned how to paint. (DISCLAIMER: I'm not a paint expert. And I try not to tell people their business.)
I would think that since the paint is still curing for the next 90 days, using a rubbing compound on the car seems absolutely ludicrous! You're not even supposed to use car soap on it, let alone rubbing compound! AND...to suggest that YOU do it yourself?!?!? Did you only pay $1000 for your paint job? Then maybe I could let an attitude like that slide. I'd be telling the guy, "How about fixing your freakin' paint job that I paid for?!?!"

I see that you already have the car back to him. I'm go over it with a fine tooth brush and make sure it's perfect when you get it back. And get some type of warranty or verbal agreement. 3 day old paint should still almost look wet to the touch! I hope it comes back 100% to you. Not many things make you more proud than a new paint job!

attachment.php

Well I have washed my car twice so far. Also the paint job did only cost 1000. Anyway I am taking it back today and pointing out all of these spots. But I dont know what to do about the rubbing compound spots. He tells me they will wear off after a few washes or to rub it out my self. But I have washed it twice and it does not even phase it. I guess he should have it for another week.

I would think that since the paint is still curing for the next 90 days, using a rubbing compound on the car

He said as long as what ever you use does not seal the paint it would be fine.

is this a pro job or just a buddy job??

it looks to me like there is no clear left on ,or there was humidity when they sprayed(hard to tell but is there a whitish cast to it??)humidity causes this.

i paid over 8 hundred bucks for my primer and paint(hardeners included)and that's cdn funds.is this guy skinny?cause he will starve to death at those prices.
hate to say it but i think you got what you paid for,he should fix it as he promised a good job,but really ,what did you expect unless you did all the prep yourself.
sorry if my comment is not welcome, but the light must have come on when you got that price. i was expecting you to say 5 thou.

Well I only bought $200 nason paint. Im not going to pay more then 1000 for a car thats going to get scratched to hell because I drive it to college. Yes I think the car was painted when it was raining but I am not sure.

If you paid $200 for paint you got $200 paint. All the care in the world won't make it look a whole lot better. A good paint will cost about $1000. The car looks pretty good for a $1000 paint job. You can't expect a lot for $1000 do what you can to improve it but live with it. Drive it and enjoy it.

Well I took it back and he said he is going to buff it again and sand some spots and everything should come out. So I guess I will know in a few days. Honestly with out the few spots. Its a great paint job for $1000 and way better then ****ing maaco. I didnt want to spend 3k on a paint job only to have it scratched by the cats or something in the parking lot.

I had to get my rear bumper cover re-painted and that alone cost $535.00!!

Bender said:
Well I took it back and he said he is going to buff it again and sand some spots and everything should come out. So I guess I will know in a few days. Honestly with out the few spots. Its a great paint job for $1000 and way better then ****ing maaco. I didnt want to spend 3k on a paint job only to have it scratched by the cats or something in the parking lot.
It's all good then. You are getting what you paid for. As long as you are happy, then it's worth it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom