Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help ! Starter problems

Radar

Corvette
1989 Medium Blue Metalic Convertible
Out of the blue, the starter on my 89 vert makes this awful noise !!

:eek

It sounds like the noise a starter makes if you try to start an engine that is already running. But......my engine is off! There is a terrible and LOUD clashing noise. If I stop and try again, presto.....starts fine with a normal starter sound. May only happen once in a hundred starts.

Doesn't the starter solenoid have to pull the bendix into the flywheel ring gear before the end switch energizes the starter motor? So why does the noise sound like the starter motor is energized and turning before the bendix engages. Any ideas on what causes the noise? :confused

I will replace the starter but I want to understand whats wrong so I don't change it for nothing and find it is something else.

Your advise is appreciated!
Radar

replace the starter. It wil only get worse.
the solonoid is sticking and when it does energize the motor is already spnning.

p.s. It's a b@#ch. I read on a similar post about an after-market hi torque that is smaller and therefore easier to install.
Whish I knew that before I did mine.
Good Luck

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12912

You got it to start and it stopped grinding. You're lucky. When my started solenoid kicked the bendix gear in it never let go. Car made a god awful racket. But to make matters worse when I turned the key to off the darn thing wouldn't stop cranking. I was lucky enough to be in my garage at the time. Should have seen how fast I made it to the tool box and back to the car with a wrench and got that negative cable off the battery....

Starter hosed. But I got a new GM, not rebuilt for about $225. So I went with the GM. The old one's bendix was worn down pretty good but because it is softer metal than the flywheel there was no harm done. Install new starter and good to go again.

I wouldn't wait too long if I were you. And stay away from Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.. You may get it cheaper but you'll have the privilege of replacing it more often. Mine was the original, so it lasted 9yrs... Not bad.

HA I KNEW I wasnt alone out there! Mines doing the EXACT same thing...Its the starter replace it your smokin!

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will pull that starter and replace it very soon. I like the suggestion to get a new GM part.

Thanks,
Radar.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom