Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP! Transmission problems gone too far. Do I need rebuild?

toomuchtorque

Corvette
2002 Black Z06
I have a 95 6-spd coupe with 54000 miles on it. Whenever I start the car, push the clutch in for whatever amount of time, and then release the clutch, I get a funny high-pitched noise. Sounds like a belt rubbing on something. I get a similar sound when I rev the engine and as I rev the engine and the revs increase, the sounds frequency increases and becomes even higher pitched.
More recently, after I run the car in rush hour traffic conditions (all stop and go) or drive it for about an hour on the freeway, when I release the clutch I hear a loud knocking sound. When I push the clutch back in or am in gear, the sound stops. Further, when I'm driving (regardless of how long it has warmed up or been driven) and I run the car at low RPMs like 1100 RPM, the car bogs hard when I push on the gas. The bogging becomes worse when I get into higher gears (absolute worse in 6th gear at around 50 mph). My only solution is driving at higher RPMs, which I want to avoid for good gas mileage.
My question is, what is wrong with my transmission (or car in general)? I'm worried that this may turn out to be a transmission rebuild. I'm taking the car in for service very soon (it is not a daily driver and it will sit at home until I do). Do I need to get some liquids changed? Is there any warranty on the transmission if I do need a rebuild? If not, how much should it cost?
I will be very grateful for any response or even viewing of this post. Thanks again guys.

Without a reply from someone here at CAC I would stop at the nearest GM dealer or transmission shop and ask for an opinion. Now or sooner. Possibly two places or more. Can't think you are doing it anygood by driving it. The less repair the easier on the wallet.

Yeah, that seems to be my only choice at this point. I'm just hoping for some good news from one of the guys here at CAC, maybe this is a common problem (...wishful thinking...). I'll probably stop by an AAMCO shop, or a Chevy dealer, or the Corvette shop near me. But I still welcome any replies. Thanks.

The dual-mass flywheel, I'll betcha, is the cause of the noise. ;)

The "bogging"? Have ya tried a tune-up lately?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom