Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help - Turn Signal Cancel Cam and more questions

agildawg

Corvette
1981 Black on Black 4 speed
Just had a great experience over on the c3 general side with resolving an antenna issue, but remembered Sensei's suggestion to try to use the L81 forum more, so here goes.

When using the turn signals, both left and right will activate fine, but neither side will cancel with the steering wheel turning, only manually moving the lever will cancel them. Is this the cancel cam that is causing this, or could it possibly be something else? I would like to have the needed part on hand if/when I tear it down. How difficult or challenging is replacing this? I've never torn into a steering wheel before, and am not mechanically inept, but I don't want to get into something over my head.

On a related note, the right signal indicator on the dash doesn't work, but the left one does. Same with the hazard lights, only the left indicator on the dash lights up. I assume that it is likely a bulb given that everything else is working properly and will try to have a look at it when I have the center gauge cluster opened up. I've got to open that up to change out the bezel for an aftermarket radio. I think I read in another forum that you can reach up behind the dash to get to those bulbs with the center cluster out. Anything else I should be looking for with the right indicator light not working?

As mentioned before, the center bezel will be coming off to install an aftermarket radio. The previous owner had had an aftermarket in it with a cut bezel, but went back to an original radio/bezel, so I have the bezel I need. Any suggestions on how to "brace" the backend of the new radio? I plan to use a Metra harness to avoid hacking up the cars wiring harness.

And while I'm in there, I plan to figure out why there are no lights for the center gauges. My assumption (and hope) is that the PO just didn't get something hooked up right when he put the original radio back in. Do you guys have suggestions on areas to check to get the center gauge cluster lighting up again? Oh yeah....and the voltmeter and battery light are also acting flaky. Car will be charging fine, all of a sudden voltmeter will drop to zero and the battery light come on, and then a few seconds later, battery light goes off and voltmeter shows the car is charging. I'm hoping that this is also loose wiring/bad connection in the gauge cluster. Any ideas/suggestions there?

Thanks again for all the help as I work out all the little issues with the new toy!

Regards,
Ron

Gee,sounds like my vette!!
My turn signals do the same thing and so do the directional lites!!!
the directional lites...I replaced the bulb several years ago when I started driving it,and It didn't make a difference,so I guessed that the circuit board has a bad spot in it some where,and I'll replace it when $$ permits,meanwhile I just live with it!!!
the self canceling cam,I replaced the outer signal switch last winter and it didn't have an effect,so i'm thinking this year Ill get the piece that revolves on the centershaft of the column and see if that will do the trick,If not I'll live with it.

as far as your cluster lites,you really can't tell if there on unless its really dark,so make sure they are in fact out.

good luck!!!

Look for a groove worn in the cancell cam. Also , change your cancell springs. $3.00 from Dorman.;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom