Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with '87 clutch selection

TAC

Corvette
1987 Yellow Callaway TT Convertible & 2003 MY Z06
Hey all! I've had clutch problems for the last several years and finally found somebody I trust to fix it. He pulled the tranny/clutch today and says the clutch needs replacing...again. I already replaced the hydraulics and he says that's working fine.

I'm ready to pull my hair out. This will be the third clutch in 4 years. The last two I had put in were both from Callaway and were made by Centerforce. This guy has worked on trannies for 17 years and asked me if it was a Centerforce after I described my problems. He says he has lots of problems with their clutches. His recommendation is to go with a straight heavy duty factory clutch from someone like Luk, Zaleo or Borg Warner. I think I should get the clutch right from Chevy and he says Chevy gets their clutches from these guys so go right to the source. I know Callaway will say put another Centerforce clutch in.

What do you think? This car is not for drag racing...I use it for cruising on trips and parades. Should I take this guy's recommendation or should I go to Chevy or what? Opinions are welcome. The car dynos around 436 at the wheels. I'll probably sell the car this spring but I would like to put in what's correct if I can.

TIA

Callaway4Fun just got a new clutch and said he has been pleased with it over the Centerforce that it replaced. Hopefully he will chime in and share his tales of what he did. :cool

New Clutch

Callaway has a new clutch for the twin turbos. It really grabs they changed the compound used in the clutch it has better clamping power.I went through the first sm clutch in about 1200 miles as my car was making to much power. Magic Dragon can chime in as he drove my car with the new clutch.
*89x2* said:
Callaway4Fun just got a new clutch and said he has been pleased with it over the Centerforce that it replaced. Hopefully he will chime in and share his tales of what he did. :cool

What's an sm clutch--single mass? Who made that one, do you know?

Callaway4fun's TT has awsome power and the clutch had no problem transfering the power. It felt the same as the C12's clutch I drove in a while back. When you let out the clutch you better be ready for it as it comes in right now.
:lou

After more discussion with Callaway I'm going to use their clutch. We'll see what happens...

Chris: did you go to a single-mass flywheel set-up? What set-up does Callaway4Fun have? Thanks Ike

Tim, my SuperNatural 425 car was just fitted with Calla pt.# 213.99.5561 - 1987-1991 TT Clutch Kit for Dual Mass Flywheel

While the car has slightly less torque than your B2K probably has, it is certaily a powerful car :cool and that clutch seems to really grab! :eek

It has about 1,000 miles on it since its install last summer @ the Callaway shop. - no regrets :m

*89x2* said:
Tim, my SuperNatural 425 car was just fitted with Calla pt.# 213.99.5561 - 1987-1991 TT Clutch Kit for Dual Mass Flywheel

While the car has slightly less torque than your B2K probably has, it is certaily a powerful car :cool and that clutch seems to really grab! :eek

It has about 1,000 miles on it since its install last summer @ the Callaway shop. - no regrets :m

I conversed with Mike Vendetto at Callaway and bought the same Centerforce clutch as before. He says there were changes to the clutch used in the later SNs but nothing new for mine. I had a shop install the clutch and change my oil lines out. The car is in its best mechanical shape since I bought it in 2000. The input shaft was rusty and looked like it was binding up. The shop polished it up and put on a little lube and it shifts perfectly. No oil stink either--one of my Earl's fittings was dripping oil right onto the exhaust manifold giving me a pleasant aroma every time I started it. The car is most likely going up for sale this spring so if anyone is thinking about owning a TT this might be the one for you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom