Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

help with battery and alarm

E

eliminator

Hi everyone had a bad day went to go home from work and nothing dead or shorted battery but the alarm kept going off by itself got a jump start and made it home just bearly put a new battery in now. Is this normal for the alarm to keep going off with a bad battery??Also ther is a tiny switch in the center console is this part of the alarm ?? Valet switch??Any help is welcomed please. Its a 1992 vett loaded.

:w
Thanks Garry

I'm not sure...

Is the alarm factory? I know a little bit about some aftermarket alarms, but I fear that I may not be able to help you with the stock alarm. I've got a GM alarm on an Oldsmobile which is probably similar, and never had the problem you're describing.

Things to try (if you haven't already):
1) Start the car, or try to with the key going through the full range of positions in the ignition. I think this is supposed to reset the alarm.

2) Do the same thing with the door lock and key. I think I've read in some GM manual that this disarms the alarm. Actually, do this before you do #1. Sorry about that.

3) Try temporarily hooking up a good battery from another car to see if this cures the problem.

You've probably already gone through these things. Wish I could help more.

:(

-Greg

Thanks

Greg

Thanks Tried that have a new battery seem to have reset I hope I think its factory not sure have book on the alarm with the owners manual but dos`t say anything also the owners manual is the one that said about the valet switch but not where. thanks

Garry

Garry, I am not sure if a 92 is the same as a 91 but mine has a toggle switch in the console also.
My car has a second security system, which was dealer installed when the car was new. I also has a red LED mounted in the center of the console, does yours have the LED ?? I believe the LED and the toggle switch are part of the second system, mine came with the alarm instructions stuck in the pouch along with the owners manual. My system is an Audiovox alarm, if this sounds like what you have let me know and I can see if I can look up any information you need.

Al

yeah

Al :) :)

You are wright that is what I have also What is the switch for ? and how do I test the switch I allready know the alarm works fine.I to have that incert with owners manual but realy dosen`t say too much.Any help in this will be needed

Garry

The reason the alarm went off when the battery was dying was to alert you in case someone punched thru your fender into the battery to kill it and the alarm and since this is such a long sentence I think I'll drag it out a little bit more.

Garry, I am in the office today and the book is home, I will send you the info tomorrow. Going from memory the switch will let you turn off some of the alarm functions, I believe the ignition has to be in on position before flipping the switch. I have not messed with mine too much, but my booklet does have a list of the functions. I also sent an email to Audiovox and they sent my more information about the alarm including the installation guide, you might want to drop them a note and get a copy of the users guide and inst guide. Check their website for the email addr.

Al

Here is what the book says:
The valet switch will allow you to by-pass the vehicle protection alarm functions, so you don't have to give garage mechanics or parking attendents your transmitter.
Note: the manual panic feature and power door lock /unlock feature will remain operative in valet mode.

To use the valet switch you must first turn the ignition key ON next turn the valet switch ON.
Do not turn the valet switch on if the dash light is flashing or the siren will sound.

To return to normal operation, turn the valet switch OFF anytime the ignition is ON.
Note: the ignition key must be ON each time you activate or deactivate the valet switch.

In the event you lose your transmitter or if the battery fails, you can use the valet switch as a by-pass for the entire system. Open the car door (the siren will sound). Turn on the ignition key then turn on the valet switch. The siren will stop and the car can be started.

I hope that is what you were looking for.
Good luck.

Al

saved by the bell I mean alarm

Al

Thanks that is what I was looking for. My incert had everything but that It talked about a valet switch but not how to use it.

Thanks again

Garry :w

PS I`ll try it tomorrow and let you know how I made out its too late tonight to set off the alarm. The neighbors will shoot me.:) :r

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom