Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

help with zaino!!!

tomls1

Corvette
C4-Sold, C5-Sold. Currently, C6-2007 Z51
ok, i've decide to give zaino a try. i've been reading nothing but good things about it, and would like to see the results for myself.

a few questions:

what do i really need to buy to get started? i don't want to go overboard and buy the whole product line ($$$$$), i just want to start with the bare minimum. do i really need to buy the zaino applicator? can i use an orbital buffer?

where's the best place (read cheapest) to get zaino? i checked the zaino site, and they seem to be a little cheaper than ecklers.

sorry for all the questions. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

zaino

I know what you mean by saving the $$$$$. What I did was read everything I could on this site and I downloaded the application hints from zaino. What I ended up doing was washing- claybar- washing-general purpose adhesive remover-washing- then putting on the zaino. It took a couple of days because I wasn't in a real hurry but the car looks great. I started the process in February and like I said it took some time then but now I can clean & wax in about an hour.
I don't know if that is good news or not but thats my story.
When I read all the stuff about 100 percent cotton towels I figured the orbital polisher could screw up all the work I had just put into the car.

frc99 -- thanks for the reply. which zaino products did you buy?

I bought the Z1,Z2,Z5,Z6,Z7,Z18 (claybar). I had some of the towels and I ripped them up into smaller pieces. The general purpose adhesive remover I bought at an auto paint store (10 bucks). The stuff all the stuff goes a long way and I've still got a bunch leftover. I did my wife's Golf first in case I screwed up and her car looks great now also.
We live in FL and the bugs you hit while driving are everywhere. They just pop off when you wash the car.

The secret is in the preparation so I would go with the Z-18 (claybar).

I would go with ZFX rather than Z-1. It's a better product and will reduce your polishing time and get to the 3-coat-wet-deep-shine faster. In the long run over time, it's not that much more expensive than Z-1. If you don't have swirls on your car, you won't need Z-5. It's been my experience that Z-5 shines better on darker cars, however.

I would only apply Zaino by hand. You'll waste more on the orbital buffer pad otherwise. OK to use orbital buffer to remove Zaino when dried.

Ecklers does charge more than the Zaino website. If you find a local dealer you'll also skip paying for shipping but may have to pay sales tax.

You do need to use 100% "made in the USA" cotton towels. Fieldcrest Royal Velvet are recommended. They are the least expensive.

I just used cotton t's to remove the wax, I only recently acquired the towels he recommended.

Z1 and Z2 are the mimimum. All you really need. I put the z1 and Z2 on, I go somewhere else, come back in 4 hours (heat and humidity) and take off. It's all about time management.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom