Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hey Bro Ken

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
How's your intermittant crank thing coming along?

Mike

PS I haven't forgotten about your dash...just have ZERO time

Trapped @ work

Mike

It cranks when I try it. ;)

As of Friday:
  1. "Yes there's gas in the car." (That's for Eric. ;))
  2. The fuses in the fusebox are all ok.
  3. There is spark.
  4. The coil checks to 0.06 ohms.
  5. There doesn't seem to be a lot of pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, do you suppose the regulator could be bad?
  6. There is no sound from the fuel pump when I turn the key on, but the insulation in my interior was doubled when I re-did it, so it's kinda hard to hear anyway.
  7. I replaced the fuel pump relay. (And the overdrive relay while I was there.)
  8. I replaced the fuel pump itself.
  9. The fuel filter was replaced in June, but I suppose it could be partially plugged.

_ken :confused

Under pressure

Should be around 36lbs

Measure when running

remember number

leave gauge connected

Have beer

come back
focus

read gauge
the reg maintains pressure when running ( Mainly )

If number is not same...leaking injectors..or other malidy

Mike

Totally Missed the Joke

So Ken... the car is not running correct?

Have somebody turn the key while your in the the rear of the car...gas cap off
and for 2 seconds you will hear the pump Whrrrrrr
then shut off. If that doesnt happen... two options

1) Bad relay/ wiring to tank
2) Bad pump

You mentioned you replaced the fuel pump, right?

Just the pump or the whole assembly?

There's an OH BY THE WAY in the newer style fillerneck assy's/wiring. There is a little white plastic RF trap in the fuel pump power line that FAILS and I cant remember when that started ( Year ) but the fix is easy... CUT THE BASTARD OUT!

Mike

Re: Totally Missed the Joke

vigman said:
So Ken... the car is not running correct?
Bingo!
You mentioned you replaced the fuel pump, right?
Right.
Just the pump, or the whole assembly?
The pump.
There's an OH BY THE WAY in the newer style fillerneck assy's/wiring. There is a little white plastic RF trap in the fuel pump power line that FAILS and I cant remember when that started ( Year ) but the fix is easy... CUT THE BASTARD OUT!
:confused

_ken :w

Further Details

There is a white nylon feed thru for the 3 wires to get from the outside world to the inside of the tank in the NEWER versions of the filler assy. GM added into the wiring a white plastic MOLDED assy for all 3 wires to pass through again. This has a RF choke in it to reduce the brush noise from the fuel pump motor while your listening to AM radio.

Now since I don't have my shop manual here I cannot tell you the colors ( YET ).

Suffice it to say when you replaced the pump.. did you notice this white box up by the filler neck?

If you did... I'll bet the farm you need to cut this out of the circut and your pump will spin again.

But we need to check the incoming wiring first.

Mike

Well, I figure I gotta go back in there anyway because I neglected to have a new tank gasket with me when I replaced the pump (Hey, I thought it was in the box! :L), so I'll look then Mike. Thanks. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Oh, by the way, when I removed the old pump, I let a hose clamp from the vapor line drop into the tank! Ooops!! :eek

This shouldn't have any affect on anything I hope. :eyerole

The Color

The fuel pump hot wire is TAN( with white tracer on some models). Black is ground 12volts across these two points for 2 seconds when key is turned on.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom