Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hi flo cat

W

white81

I have an 81 and would like to know if anyone has installed on of the hi flo cats? I see ecklers has one that is a bolt on one for $149. Does it bolt on without any problems? Is it a direct fit? Summit has one for $60.00 but it is not a bolt on. Any info will be nice.
Thanks, Chris

I went welded

white81 said:
I have an 81 and would like to know if anyone has installed on of the hi flo cats? I see ecklers has one that is a bolt on one for $149. Does it bolt on without any problems? Is it a direct fit? Summit has one for $60.00 but it is not a bolt on. Any info will be nice.
Thanks, Chris

I went down to the local HotRod Muffler shop with mine and had them install all New from the front Y back. Everything is welded except for the front of the back Y. 2 1/2" pipe and new flow cat and Flowmasters. Total bill was just under $500. The shop did a really nice job with one exception.... the rear Y is not exactly like the factory... looks the same but,,,,, now I have to unbolt the exhaust system to check two of the three bolts on the Rear Spring :mad I didn't find this out until about a year after the installation :mad :r

Other than that I like it and love the rumble from the Flowmasters...

BudD
:w

:D Chris, I just bolted one of those cats on last night. Fit good, sounds good. Weights about 1/4 of the old one I took off. It is a direct bolt on.

Tom

Hi flow cats

Hey Tomlim..........More details please!!!

"Sounds good" How good...... A little louder, 25% better. 50% better?

How have readers handled the return air line on an '81? The OEM steel line
bolts on at the front corner of the cat. I see the Ecklers air hook up is on the
side of the cat. A person would have to cut-off the factory end and splice in a 1 1/2
foot long tube to reconnect to the new cat?

Thanks for the info.
JU

You're not done yet...

John,

Yank the A.I.R., headers and reroute the plumbing. No return line needed from the Cat. Reset the carb settings and enjoy an estimated 30-35% performance boost. ....... and I've NEVER failed a sniffer test yet. The Peoples Rebulic of MD has some nasty emissions spec's to comply with and she's always passed with flying colors. New Flowmasters are on order and that should pump it up a little more.

Regarding the sound with the 2-Stage Cat, the headers and 3" pipes produces a sweet mellow rumble at idle and under normal throttle with OEM muffs now. I can't wait to hear her with the Flowmasters. :D:D:D

Good Luck and let us know how it works out. Same with you too Chris. Go for it!!!!!!!

Nut

Hi Flow Cat

John, the new cat increased the sound on my 81 by about 25%. Keep in mind I have Monza muffler tips on mine at this time. As far as the AIR tube it's connected by a rubber hose or at least that is what I used. The best I can tell the tube connector kit that Mid Am sells is a rubber hose.

Tom

cats

Nut and Tom,

First thanks for the info. Nut, what did you do to the carb and do you have pics? What is the air line for and can you just plug?

Tom, Did the hose come with the cat? Did you get the cat from Mid America? What brand is it and do you have pics?

Thanks again guys. This is a great service and makes so much more fun!!!!!!!!

Chris

Chris, I did get the cat from Mid Am, and no the hose doesn't come with it. You have to purchase it seperately. I just used a piece of vacuum hose I had in the garage.

Tom

Hi Flo Cats

One other source of good cats is the Jegs catalog. They have hi flows and street rod type clamp on cats. I installed Dynomax headers and mufflers, dual exhaust and clamp on cats ($50 each) and the sound is awesome. I am legal and pass the sniff test.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom