Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HID lighting

Corvette
08 Atomic orange, Z-51, 6 speed
HID lighting Question

I have a question about installing HID fog lamps. Does the increased intensity work for you in sincere "fog"conditions? I was curious about too much reflection. Also if you replace your high beams with HID, does this overtax the standard electrical system at all? I would like to do the same thing, but was afraid of the afore mentioned items. Would appreciate any advice.

HID's are nice, until they need replacing. Then, they're not so nice. I wouldn't mess with the lights as the polycarbonate lens has been shown to "crazing." This is caused by UV, heat & exposure. The UV you can't do much about (unless you only drive @ night.):boogie
The heat is created by the lamps. (The amber is the biggest culprit.) Increasing wattage increases heat.
Not much can be done about exposure (except painter's tape) and the constabulary may have a problem with that.

Fog lights that are "too bright" reflect and blind the eyes behind the light source. This is why yellow lights are used. Unfortunately, there is no viable alternative to what we have today (except infrared technology.)
Mercedes has it so the domestics may get it in 15-20 years from now.

HID's are nice, until they need replacing. Then, they're not so nice. I wouldn't mess with the lights as the polycarbonate lens has been shown to "crazing." This is caused by UV, heat & exposure. The UV you can't do much about (unless you only drive @ night.):boogie
The heat is created by the lamps. (The amber is the biggest culprit.) Increasing wattage increases heat.
Not much can be done about exposure (except painter's tape) and the constabulary may have a problem with that.

Fog lights that are "too bright" reflect and blind the eyes behind the light source. This is why yellow lights are used. Unfortunately, there is no viable alternative to what we have today (except infrared technology.)
Mercedes has it so the domestics may get it in 15-20 years from now.

Thanks for the advice Norty. Guess I will be happy with her as she is. Really have no problems with the lighting. Just read the threads about it and was curious. Again appreciate it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom