Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Beam Switch failure

G

goomba

1992 - High beams will not turn on. was working fine. now nothing. I am sure it is the switch or a conection to the switch. The sterring col. lever doesn't feel the same when pulled to turn high beams on as it did when they were working. I think something manual is disconected. Any help on what it may be, what is actually in the col. and fix would be appreciated, as always

goomba

Oh Goomba...your gonna hate this

Ok

The actual dimmer switch is located UNDER the dash.. on top of the steering column.

There is an actuator rod that links to the stalk which pushes the switch.

So the next question....

Is it the piviot assy in the top of the column... or the switch itself?

Dump the hush panel, drop the column and take a gander.

You will need a wheel puller and lock spring depressor ( special tools ) if it up top.

If it's just the switch itself...... then that's easier...and I do use that word LOOSLY.

Vig!

vig thanks for high beam switch info

I did get to library this weekend and read Chilton's. they don't go into much detail period, but they do talk about disconnecting the battery (no problem) and the Air Bag system prior to dropping the steering column. Is this required and how does one shut down the Air Bag system.

I'm thinking it is the actuator rod, am hoping it just came disconnected. but we all know hope springs eternal

Goomba

1st just drop the column and check it out that way.... If you don't have to mess with the air bag... dont!

VIG!

vigman

I agree but is the air bag likely to go off by just dropping the coloum and fiddeling around with the high beam switch and connector rod. I wouldn't think so but, what do I know?

thanks for the help, sorry to wear you out with questions

It's cool

Pull the air bag fuse..... before you start!

Vig!

If its anything like the 84-90 series column its really a doofuss built mechanism. If you pull the steering column shroud (The side where the key is) your going to see a little rod on the left hand side that gets put into a little plastic plate. Thats probably your problem, the rod has fallen out of the plate. I had to redo mine as well when my steering column was a nightmare last year.

BTW all the parts for this lever swtich are plastic so careful.

I probably just shot my mouth off because your column should be different but knowing the General it might be the same.

As for your airbag Vig's right pull the fuse for it but just to be safe disconnect the battery as well and walk away from it for about 30 mins just to be safe. You don't want a 180Mph bag making your arms do something only seen at the circus!

:crazy

beam switch

i got an 88 vette and stumped because i have same problem.. there is the actuator rod.. and a bit of plastic that fell into my hand as i was fiddling around.. but there is no way it looks like thats all i need.. must be some more parts missing between the rod and the indicator switch?!??!! also im missing the cover piece.. so maybe thats the main component to keep it in?!?!? hellllp :D

I had the same problem when I first purchased mine in Oct 01. There is this plastic piece that interfaces the signal stalk with the acuator rod and that is the "weak link" in this. Chevrolet doesn't make this part any more, and I ended up calling all over to find the part, got mine out of Tabers in Indiana.

RTFD in your helms or haynes or chiltons or what have you!
If you can, take some digital pictures as you disassemble it, and take it slow and make notes, along with your pics. It'll save you guessing as you go along in the reverse.

Lots of luck!!!

my 93 hi beam will only work when the steering wheel is in the full UP position. if you fix yours without blowing the airbag please e-mail me. im too chicken to mess with it-thanx.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom