Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High engine revs hold for a while before upshift in Sport Mode - Normal?

carbuff

Corvette
2006 Yellow Z51 Coupe
On our 2015, A8 auto transmission, with 4000km, noticed a weird anomaly when driving in Sport mode and auto mode (not using paddle shifters.

Is it "normal" for the revs to stay high even when you lift your foot off the brake?

Scenario:

Boot the car (=give it lots of gas) from stop or at any speed.
The car stays in the lowest gear (whatever gear it drops to when you are booting it) and then holds in that gear at about 3000 RPM, and will not upshift for say 15 seconds or so.

It does not do it in Tour mode. In this mode, the car quickly upshifts when you are booting it as soon as you let off the gas. It drives normally, as any other automatic car would. It only holds the lower gear while you are on the gas, and upshifts almost immediately once you let off the gas.

Is what we are seeing in Sport Mode normal, or does the tranny have issues?
Guessing it may be normal, if Sport Mode is trying to hold high RPMs. But it feels weird, and never experienced this on any other car.

Last edited:
That always happens when you program the speedometer to display kmph instead of mph.:D Seriously, I think what you are describing is normal. Sport mode tries to keep you in the power part of the power band, but it should allow higher revs. I had the same experience hot lapping at VIR last Fall.

Thanks for the confirmation. Couple of other sources also confirmed for me today that what I am experiencing is fact normal for Sport and Track modes.

Problem solved.

It is good to know there is nothing wrong with the car :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom