Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Flow CATS investment?

J

jcook00

I want to change the sound characteristics of my 96 LT4. If performance improves that would be a bonus too. One mechanic suggested that I replace the stock catalytic converter with Random Technology high flow cats. Can someone weigh in on whether it is a worthwhile mod? Also, is this an easy do-it-yourself job? The exhaust system is all stock at this point.

Random tech is the best cats you can go with, while your under your car you mine as well replace your whole exhaust system for, i would check out corsa ( www.corsaperf.com )... if your going for sound i think corsa sounds the best...

Yes it is a worthwhile mod
Its pretty easy

i bought a spare set of cats on ebay for $100.00, cut a 3" hole in the side and cleaned them out. i use them when i race and i don't notice an appreciable difference in performance or noise. the stock cats work good, there certanily isn't enough HP gain to justify the expense of the cats plus the O2 simulators

If you are looking for sound first and foremost, then the cats are not the place to start. The mufflers are what really kills the sound... All I did was have them cut off, and replaced with straight pipe. This is the cheapest method... the sound is what I like. pretty quiet still in the car, i can listen to the radio with no problems... with the windows open or top off, it sounds great, and if i get on it, i can hear the engine.... all for less than $100

First thing i did was replace the exhaust to a Power Effects system. I replaced my cats with Random techs when the originals blew out on me. The cats alone are not worth doing as a performance/sound upgrade alone. Now what to do for sound/cat back system is something else. The muffler cut offs don't sound anywhere near as good as a Power Effects or Corsa. Sure it's cheap but you get what you pay for. Besides if you decide to go with headers later on you'll need some bullet cats. The OEM random techs which basically bolt up look just like the OEM's and will not work with full headers.

I am considering either gutting the cats on my LT4 or having straight pipe welded in their place. eithe way i will eventually have o2 sensor simulators put in eventually. I have put in muffler eliminators(pipe instead of a muffler) and am a little bit dissappointed in the fact it is still pretty quite. Has a nice sound just the volume is not where i want it to be. Would doing that to the cats help me out if i left the stock resonator and stock exhaust manifolds? will my car go into a limp more if i do not put in the o2 simulators right away?

If you gutted your cats you would notice a louder exhaust. However, if you want a nice, deep, loud exhaust you need lt headers, no cats, no resonator (use x-pipe) and some loud mufflers. (This setup would also result in hearing loss :) If you don't have the o2 sims you'll throw a code. My understanding of the rear sensors is that they only read if the cats are working correctly or not.

As far as Random Tech cats, I would only use them as a last resort. They're expensive and don't flow as well as other aftermarket cats. Their main benefit is the "bullet" or small size for cramped space usually associated with lt headers.

all4c4lt4 said:
If you gutted your cats you would notice a louder exhaust. However, if you want a nice, deep, loud exhaust you need lt headers, no cats, no resonator (use x-pipe) and some loud mufflers. (This setup would also result in hearing loss :) If you don't have the o2 sims you'll throw a code. My understanding of the rear sensors is that they only read if the cats are working correctly or not.

As far as Random Tech cats, I would only use them as a last resort. They're expensive and don't flow as well as other aftermarket cats. Their main benefit is the "bullet" or small size for cramped space usually associated with lt headers.
LT4 headers are pretty well designed to begin with....so I don't think I'd go there..........unless of course you are planning on about 500++hp...as far as o2 simulators......gotta have em' unless you like the orange lites

I'm not sure about the adequate design of the stock exhaust manifolds. Sure they are ok, but lt headers will give you about 15-20 rwhp and 10 - 15 rwtq. But that's only peak. To really understand lt headers, look at what it does to the tq curve, especially in the mid to upper rpms. For ~$700, its a great mod. That's not even mentioning what it does for your exhuast note.

I have a stock exhaust and I'm going to leave it that way until I hear the way other LT4's sound with aftermarket pieces.

Hey 1996man, I guess I'm not the only Gainesvillian with a black on black LT4...:beer

wow i didnt even realize that! where do you live in gainesville? i live off main street by williston road. i dont think i have ever seen your car in town? if you want you are more than welcome to see how you like the sound of muffler eliminators in my car! well worth the 55 bucks i paid but not near loud enough for me!

I just love it when something or someone comes together.........
Sounds like a plan...imagine double vision on main street in Gainesvll....kool!

headers/cats

I have the power effects exhaust system. My cat(s) are going bad so was looking at headers and high flow cats. Keeping the power effects and increasing HP/Torque what are the and who makes the best headers and cats? I would really like just a bolt up system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom