Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High idle

Amazing what a little preventive matinance can do!

I'll bet she will PURR now!

Vig!

IT'S FIXED!!!!!

First of all in my last post, I meant to indicate that I was premature for that particular post, not the thread. I believe the TPS was right on before I took it apart, I only THOUGHT that I had put it back in the same position.

With the freshly cleaned Throttle Body slamming those throttle plates back in position with a snap all it needed was TPS adjustment. I got it to 536 milliVolts and cinched it down. It now pegs at a very smooth 700 RPM's. I won't tell anyone that I'm off by 4 milliVolts if you won't.

Now if I can manage to get the cooling system adequately flushed, I'll start driving it again and try to home in on the limited slip/brake problem.

Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.

Have a great day,

You mean.004 VOLTS

Ummmmmm IM TELLING MOM

LOL
Good news...just HOW junkey was it in there?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Vig!

No, anything, but tell your Mommy on me!

It was not ridiculously nasty. I have kept it cleaned out with a rag and carb. cleaner, but I guess there was gunk in the shafts or something. I expected to really find some nastiness when taking off the bottom and top plates. It was dirty, but not caked.

Have a great day,

The ()&#(*&$ High Idle speed is back. Everything was cool for a few days, then the idle problem started coming back. I can rotate the torque arm on the throttle back in place and it goes back to 700.

I can't imagine that the shafts or something in there crudded up this fast. I don't have a vacuum leak, only the shaft problem.

The cables have a slight amount of slack and are definitely not keeping the plates open.

I don't know a carb shop to fix the shafts. Am I gonna have to buy a $300 58MM throttle body to fix this?

Have a great day,
Frustrated in Texas

Why yes..yes you are

Sorry.. but you have infact proven your own problem....... unless you want to do the helper spring thing.....

Vig!

Okay, so if I am going to lay out $300 I want to buy the larger throttle body. Has anyone ever used a 58MM on a basically stock L98? Does the TPS work out okay? One would think that the larger throttle body would throw off the calibration of the system while in open loop mode. Maybe the TPS is adjusted slightly differently, or something compensates for this.

Any experience with this?

BTW, I know that I will have to open up the plenum holes behind the TB. I also realize that the 52MM would probably be a better choice for a stock engine. However, if it will work okay on the stock engine, then it will be an asset when the time comes for engine time. At engine time I plan to do some head porting, add some cam and do the 3 3/4" stroke as well as using a high flow intake and runners. This will be at some point in the future. The engine still has good compression, seems tight and uses no oil. It does, however, have oil running down the block below the rear of the heads on both sides, so engine time may come sooner than later.

Thanks for your help,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom