Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! High RPM is ugly

RLDaily

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metallic
OK, here's the deal...

2000 Coupe, stock LS-1, 73000 miles, automatic...I think original plugs-wires

Cruising along about 74-75, kick it hard into passing gear on level road, get up to about 5000RPM (hit about 85 real fast) and it bucks like a bronco, and pops and lurches like crazy

Do the same thing, but real easy to about 2500RPM, no passing gear but hits 85 or so and smooth as silk.

What's the deal? I'm figuring wires? Plugs?....Fuel?

Background...My fuel gauge bottoms out at about 7/8 tank, kicks back in at about 1/2 tank and after a while I get a "Check Engine" when the guage has been reading empty....Any connection?

OK, here's the deal...

Cruising along about 74-75, kick it hard into passing gear on level road, get up to about 5000RPM (hit about 85 real fast) and it bucks like a bronco, and pops and lurches like crazy

Do the same thing, but real easy to about 2500RPM, no passing gear but hits 85 or so and smooth as silk.

Background...My fuel gauge bottoms out at about 7/8 tank, kicks back in at about 1/2 tank and after a while I get a "Check Engine" when the guage has been reading empty....Any connection?

Is it possible that your transmission is slipping a bit at the final up shift and you're hitting the rev limiter?? Sort of sounds that way to me...

Could be a lot of things, but I'd start out with routine service for a 12 year old car. Start with plugs and wires and a couple cans of Sea Foam or bottles of Techron. You can do that at home. If that doesn't solve the problem, pull the codes at a dealer or part store like Autozone....just some routine, cheap things that could solve the problem, but may be needed regardless.

You know BigJim I've though about tranny slip, but the popcorn sound at 5K is what's wierd

first pull codes.

If I were a real technician,Thats what I'd do first! :L

Then I'd check out what the magic numbers was telling me!:thumb

:D

Post them up,History and Current.......Don't reset them yet in the DIC,Somebody might need them later!:thumb

Turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the engine. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. This will get you into the CODES section of the DIC. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. Any code that ends in H is a history code (something that has occured in the past) but is fine now. Once the computer has finished going through all of it's codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# CODES".

To optionally reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays "NO CODES". Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps in this paragraph until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules
. NOTE !!
Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this.

:beer

OK, here's the deal...

It sounds like you may have gone past 5k and bumped your rev limiter. I would try 2 tank fulls of Techron Super Concentrate from full to empty and see if your fuel gauge works properly.

I gotta drive home in a couple days (280 miles) so I'll try some more magic elixer. This thing is my work car so It'll go thru a couple treatments pretty quick this month

FAA A&P Mechanic...way over 20 years

I would look at fuel filter first.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom