Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"High" RPM

Newfydad

Corvette
1992 Black Rose LT1-ZF6
Many years ago when I drove a 429 CobraJet I got into a stop-light race and the darn thing ate a valve at high rpm which chewed up the valve seat, piston and cylinder wall. Plus I've been driving a diesel truck for a number of years. The red-line there is 3500 rpm.
For these reasons I'm quite reluctant to rev up my '92 Vette. I sure dont want to hurt my baby. What are the chances of doing damage by taking it up to the red-line or even to the rev limiter at WOT once in a while if I'm feeling frisky and want to play or burn off some rubber? Any thoughts?

1992 LT1-ZF6
57000 miles

Thanks, Rod

Many years ago when I drove a 429 CobraJet I got into a stop-light race and the darn thing ate a valve at high rpm which chewed up the valve seat, piston and cylinder wall. Plus I've been driving a diesel truck for a number of years. The red-line there is 3500 rpm.
For these reasons I'm quite reluctant to rev up my '92 Vette. I sure dont want to hurt my baby. What are the chances of doing damage by taking it up to the red-line or even to the rev limiter at WOT once in a while if I'm feeling frisky and want to play or burn off some rubber? Any thoughts?

1992 LT1-ZF6
57000 miles

Thanks, Rod
They'll hit red line without to much problem,I've hit the rev-limiter on my Quota and then some!!:L:L:L Might have bent a push rod or two in my time,never something serious!! :D

This fits perfectly with a conversation I had today. When I drive my Vette, I cruise for the most part, but when I accelerate I tend to use lots of throttle short shifting at like 2500 to 3000RPM, till I get to the posted speed limit. ON most days I have it out I runn'er up through at least the first two gears and into the third some at least twice at WOT, when I am feeling especially playful maybe four times. NOW and then I giver some rev just to show off my pipes or lack there of (see my other post entitled THE RESULTS ARE IN, in the C4 General Discussion to hear it), now when I rev and engine I REV an engine, my nickname is Redline and sometimes Rev it Up Roy for a reason.

Now my qustion relating to my converstation today is does revving an engine to the limiter you know just blipping it, really that detremental. I mean in my thinking if the thing is warm, got good oil pressure, and the engine is in good mechanical shape with clean oil, what is the hurt. My LT1 runs synthetic and is spotless inside. She never smokes or does anything stupid,ever. Runs like a dream. The guy I was talking to said that free reving with no load is bad, well I can see how if its in bad shape but a good condtion engine, IDK??? I guess if the internals can't handle reving up that fast it could fly apart??? My point is its a Corvette, its made to be run, not drove like grandma does going to the grocery store.

Not that I abuse my Corvette, I never drive it hard, cold, or use any bad habits with the clutch, never down shift excessively to create too many RPM's, dont power shift it, I always make sure I get the clutch in the entire way, my timing when shifting fast is good, dont do drop clutch burnouts, or burnouts for that matter, etc...

This fits perfectly with a conversation I had today. When I drive my Vette, I cruise for the most part, but when I accelerate I tend to use lots of throttle short shifting at like 2500 to 3000RPM, till I get to the posted speed limit. ON most days I have it out I runn'er up through at least the first two gears and into the third some at least twice at WOT, when I am feeling especially playful maybe four times. NOW and then I giver some rev just to show off my pipes or lack there of (see my other post entitled THE RESULTS ARE IN, in the C4 General Discussion to hear it), now when I rev and engine I REV an engine, my nickname is Redline and sometimes Rev it Up Roy for a reason.

Now my qustion relating to my converstation today is does revving an engine to the limiter you know just blipping it, really that detremental. I mean in my thinking if the thing is warm, got good oil pressure, and the engine is in good mechanical shape with clean oil, what is the hurt. My LT1 runs synthetic and is spotless inside. She never smokes or does anything stupid,ever. Runs like a dream. The guy I was talking to said that free reving with no load is bad, well I can see how if its in bad shape but a good condtion engine, IDK??? I guess if the internals can't handle reving up that fast it could fly apart??? My point is its a Corvette, its made to be run, not drove like grandma does going to the grocery store.

Not that I abuse my Corvette, I never drive it hard, cold, or use any bad habits with the clutch, never down shift excessively to create too many RPM's, dont power shift it, I always make sure I get the clutch in the entire way, my timing when shifting fast is good, dont do drop clutch burnouts, or burnouts for that matter, etc...

i agree, that if the engine is balanced and in good shape you can rev the p out it with zero load and zero ill effects,.
i've observed this behavior many times in the two wheeled world:cool

I used to own an '92. Put 114,000 miles on the car before selling it the first time. It also had a 6-sp and I managed to miss a few shifts along the way and bounce the motor off the rev limiter. Not the best thing to do with the car but it didn't see to hurt it either. The LT1 is pretty strudy and will put up with a lot of abuse.

For a stock LT1 in a C4, I found the best shift point to be around 5500. I've even been known to drop the clutch at 5000 just to smoke the tires.

>>I've even been known to drop the clutch at 5000 just to smoke the tires.<<

Thats pretty gutsy. Dont think I'd ever do that, but after reading everyone's opinions I guess I dont have to be so nervous about taking it up to the red-line.
Thanks for all the responses
Rod

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom