Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High whining noise on my 97 C5

hthsbd

Corvette
1997 Black Coupe
Can anyone give me any thoughts on this high whining sound I hear on my 1997 C5 when I stop at a red light or stop sign? It doesn't do it all the time. But it is like a high whine that goes up and down. The auto tranny is shifting fine and all my temps are good. Maybe this is a normal sound that 97 C5's make since I haven't had mine but a few months. Any input you can make would be appreciated!

Thanks,,,hthsbd

Sounds like Power steering or trans for sure,lift the hood when the noise is going on and listen to the Power steer pump.

Odd noises

Does it change frequency or sound with the changing speed ? or if you start out from a dead stop does the noise change as you manually shift greas ? Does it change sound if you turn the A/C on and off ? and lastly, have you ever changed the serpentine belt and or the belt tensioner ? Just a couple of ideas.

Whining sound

The sound seems to go away when I start to move. I have replaced the belts, by the way. I will try turning the a/c on and see what that does. I will also raise the hood and check the power steering pump too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Could be the fuel pump. they are known to be noisy on early C5s. I can hear a faint, high pitched whine sometimes in my 98 coming from behind the seats. You can change it out or, like me, learn to live with it.

I'd check for a cracked rubber hose right here between the PCV and Throttle Body, Sucking air they'll whine and go away under acceleration like that sometimes!~!!:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_3392 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3392 (Small).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 148
Think the fuel pump may be it!

I am definately leaning toward the fuel pump answer. I have had several others tell me the same thing about early C5's having the problem with the niosy fuel pump. Think I will do like you and some others and just turn the radio up! Thanks so much for the input!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom