Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood Bracing Separation

Grizzly

Corvette
1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible
Some of the glued joints between the outer and inner parts of the hood on my 67 are coming apart. What should I use as an adhesive?

The only polyester bond between the inner and outer panel was a 1"-wide strip all the way around the outer edge; what you see between the inner panel ribs and the bottom of the outer panel in several locations is a different adhesive that we called "gumdrops" in the plant. The best replacement these days (if your local body/paint shop store doesn't have the hood "gumdrop" adhesive) is DAP Premium Polyurethane Roof and Flashing Sealant - it's black and turns almost to hard rubber in two days, cleans up with Xylol or lacquer thinner, and you can paint it in 72 hours.

The polyester bond material wasn't used between the inner panel bracing and the underside of the outer panel due to the effects of "bond burn"; bond material gives off a great deal of heat when it "kicks", and that can cause localized distortions in the flat and highly-visible hood outer panel.

:beer

As another alternative, I used liquid nails for fiberglass on my hood and so far it seems to work real well. It was clear, so I glued it before I DP90'd the underside of my hood. It turns rock hard in about a day........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom