Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood insulator blanket pins

Don Mason

Corvette
01 Convertible & 73 Coupe
Hey guys, I am getting ready to replace my hood insulator blanket and have to also replace the pins and retainers. My question is what type of adhesive should I use to glue the retainer base to the underside of the hood. I know that some adhesives can "bleed through" the fiberglass and show up on the outside. (don't want that!!) Thanks in advance for your help.

JB weld or equivalent woould be fine.Your not going to have a problem with any thing bleeding through

Thanks paintdaddy for your response will do!!

I replaced my blanket last year. I didn't use any glue and didn't have any problem. To each there own.

Epoxy

I replaced my blanket last year. I didn't use any glue and didn't have any problem. To each there own.

I used an industrial clear epoxy called E6000. This should be ok without doing any harm on the other side I hope?

Thanks for the tip. I am just trying to get everything back like it should be. The original bases are still glued to the underside of the hood, but the pins were cut off at some point by a previous owner. I have to get the existing bases off and replace with the new bases and pins. Thanks again for your help!!

You are wise to ask about bleed through, things can and will bleed through. I have no idea which glue to use, but I do know that the oil in you AC compressor can bleed through... It ain't pretty.

My Compressor blew about 2 months ago and left oil stains on the under-hood. I didn't clean it off because I am going to do a lot of engine-bay work during the winter down time.

I do not notice any bleed through to my paint. I have satin black enamel on the under hood area, 1/4 to 3/8 thick F.R.P., jelcoat, and then urethane paint on the top. I have never heard of this happening before.

I just went to the garage and used a little brake cleaner on the dried oil and it came right off.

Are there certain types of AC oils that would do this? I find no damage to my car. ;shrug

My compressor's front seal blew years ago and made a nice blistered area on the paint above a short time later. Maybe the hoods on the later model cars were sealed from the inside, unfortunately mine wasn't.

Ive got bubbles on the outside of my hood from what i think is engine oil bleeding through the hood. cant be ac oil, no compressor :). the bubbles are in the same area the oil was on the inside of the hood thats what makes me think it was the oil.

Is my '69 supposed to have an insulator blanket?

Now ya got me spooked !!:confused

I'm doing a fast cleanup job tomorrow morning :W

Now ya got me spooked !!:confused

I'm doing a fast cleanup job tomorrow morning :W

Don't worry about it, it's nothing a new hood with fresh paint can't cure! :upthumbs

(I bet that made you feel better :eek:hnoes)

I'm starting a new thread on this important subject. See ""Bleed Thru""

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom