Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood operation

Bill Heygster

Corvette
1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
The hood on my 85 opens but when I pull the release it doesn't pop up as it used to. It does release but only comes up a tiny bit. I suspect the struts or the springs at the rear corners (or both) are worn out. What should I replace to make the hood "pop" open like it used to.

Try tightening the hood release cable. :w

I have the same problem. Let me know what you cure the problem with. It's not the release cable. at least not for me.

I'm having the same problem on my 85.Hood came down hard from full open.Releases fully on the right side only comes up a little on the drivers side.Feels like the latch opened on the left side to spring it up about 1 inch.Do I need the tool they sell.I think the catch is still stuch on the latch?

Thannks - but it's not the cable. Both sides release but when they do the hood only rises a fraction of an inch. It used to pop up a couple inches. I've ordered new springs which are located on the rear corners and new strut cylinders. When i get them in I'll let you know what worked.

I'm having the same problem on my 85.Hood came down hard from full open.Releases fully on the right side only comes up a little on the drivers side.Feels like the latch opened on the left side to spring it up about 1 inch.Do I need the tool they sell.I think the catch is still stuch on the latch?

The tool that Gordon Kilebrew invented is the only easy way to open a stuck hood. I have one under the seat just in case. Mid Ameria sells the tool and if you'll be at Carlisle next month Gordon will sell you one there.

I suppose you have lubricated the latches on both sides so that they operate smoothly.

A lot of water and other junk flows off the windshield into the latch mechanism and can cause it to hang up.

I suppose you have lubricated the latches on both sides so that they operate smoothly.

A lot of water and other junk flows off the windshield into the latch mechanism and can cause it to hang up.

Yep - that was the first thing I tried. It's moving free just not moving far. Thanks for the suggestion though

I bought the tool and used it.I can push in the latch realease but the drivers side still only up about 1/2 inch.It pops up about that with the regular release but no more than that and feels like it's still latched.Even with the tool the drivers side is still stuck.I even removed the splash shield but can,t get to the latch from there.The bottom of the latch area is completely surrounded by metal.I can"t figure whats holding it.I can push it back down to lock it but takes alot of pressure to do it.It pops the 1 inch with the realease put pulling up on it feels likes it's still latshed like something is jammed.:W

I bought the tool and used it.I can push in the latch realease but the drivers side still only up about 1/2 inch.It pops up about that with the regular release but no more than that and feels like it's still latched.Even with the tool the drivers side is still stuck.I even removed the splash shield but can,t get to the latch from there.The bottom of the latch area is completely surrounded by metal.I can"t figure whats holding it.I can push it back down to lock it but takes alot of pressure to do it.It pops the 1 inch with the realease put pulling up on it feels likes it's still latshed like something is jammed.:W

If it pops up a inch it's not stuck in the latch. Something else is going on

I'm not sure whats causing it.On the passenger side It"s up and I can pull up and actually see the bottom of the latching pin.On the drivers side thats up an inch I can see the pin but it looks like the very end of the pin,the mushroom style
end,looks like its almost out of the latch,but the hood won't come up any further than I inch.Like I said in my first post the hood came down from full up after a 65 mph gust from an approaching thunderstorm pushed the hood forward enough to release the hood prop.I'll keep looking.

Well I replaced the gas struts and the hood comes up easier but it still doesn't "pop up" when I pull the release. next thing I'll replace the springs at the rear corners of the hood.

I found my problem after sawing thru what I thought was a stuck latch pin.Turns out when the hood came down it folded the hood prop the wrong way and was jammed.Finally got the hood opened but it took out the fiberglass front and side splashes.One thing I thought odd was the hood prop is bolted to the fiberglass splashes?;shrug

I found my problem after sawing thru what I thought was a stuck latch pin.Turns out when the hood came down it folded the hood prop the wrong way and was jammed.Finally got the hood opened but it took out the fiberglass front and side splashes.One thing I thought odd was the hood prop is bolted to the fiberglass splashes?;shrug

glad you got it opened. - sorry about the damage

As I'm experiencing the same lack of hood "pop" as described by Bill Heygster in his dated post, I read the various posts with a great deal of interest. Unlatching is not a problem with my 1985 C4; lack of "pop" is. I replaced the hood struts during the winter months, and have cleaned/lubed the latches. Replacement of the struts made raising the hood much easier, but did little to address the lack of "pop". Does anyone know if replacing the hood pin springs is a possible solution? As the expense is minimal for new springs, I'm considering this option. Oh ya, the cables were replaced several years ago when I was unable to unlatch the hood. I've not attempted to adjust the pins. Thanks for your help!

Thannks - but it's not the cable. Both sides release but when they do the hood only rises a fraction of an inch. It used to pop up a couple inches. I've ordered new springs which are located on the rear corners and new strut cylinders. When i get them in I'll let you know what worked.

The new springs will do it. They are the little guys that pop the hood up a couple of inches so you can get your fingers under there and lift it.

replacing the hood pin springs is a possible solution?

It's more than possible; it is a probable.

Thanks for your feedback, Ted. I've ordered a set of new springs from Corvette Central.

Dennis

Just received the replacement hood springs, but not sure how to go about replacing the original springs. Do I need to remove the complete assembly on each side of the hood? i.e. The triangular plate attached to the hood, or remove just the pin and spring? If just the pin and spring, how is the pin fastened to the triangular plate? I've searched numerous resources including the service manual and have yet to find information on how the pin and spring are fastened to the plate. Thanks for your help!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom