Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood rubbing on engine

klyons

Corvette
1988 Bright Red
Has anyone experienced this I just noticed that the hood appears ro be rubbing on the top back part of the engine and on the accumalator (A/C) hose. Shimming the hood doesn't sound like a good idea to me. It is noticable enough to see white fiberglass residue where it is rubbing. What next?

I had 3 C-4s: 84 4+3, 91 ZR-1 and 94 ZR-1. They all had similar problems. Just let the rubbing reshape the hood liner then touch up with satin black spray paint. As long as motor mounts are good, no problem.

Just behind the hood locks and just in front of the cowl on both sides there is a rubber bump stop that is adjustable. All you need to do is loosen the nut at the bottom and turn them counterclockwise a turn or two to raise the back part of the hood.
If you go too far the hood may not lock in place...but the pins on the hood itself are also adjustable. Keep in mind that on the sides of the hood where it meets the fender skirts with the TunedPort moulding it is supposed to be parallel to the skirt to keep the lines in place. If you raise the stops too high you will increase the gap between the hood and skirt. I am sure with a bit of careful adjusting you can accomplish stopping the rubbing yet making it not so noticable...

Same problem with my 91 and 94. The first was the 91 (the A/C hose) and I had the bad idea about move the whole hood locks to make this and another adjustments, and after that I broke the windshield trying to unlock the hood with a steel bar!!!!;stupid :hb

A week ago I had the same problem with the 94 (The right corner of the radiator cover against the hood) and all I did was to get a nice piece of rubber (not too thik) to stick it in place with glue and it solved the problem 100%. :upthumbs

You can make some little adjustments like Eagle85C4 says with the rubber bump stop but be careful.

Anyway Good luck!

I have the exact same problem with my '89. I was thinking it was just me until I went to a corvette gathering last summer and saw an '88 and another '89 with the exact same problem. So all I can tell you is that your definately not alone!!!

Thanks for the replies I guess I will quit worrying about it. The sun is finally shining and it's time for cruising. The longest winter I can remember in along time and not sure it's really over with yet.
HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL.

:CAC
:pat God Bless our troops and keep them safe.

My '84 rubbed...all I did was readjust it...now it is fine....
Rubbed ontop of the aircleaner...
Good Luck..
tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom