Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood Scoop

• Thread starter Thread starter cmegga
  • Start date Start date
C

cmegga

I have been planning on putting on a high rise hood this spring as Im finnally going to send her in to get a paint job. I need the high rise for clearance issues as well as I really like the look. I have told by several people alot of the after market hoods dont always fit well, and I may be better off cuttting my hood and adding just the scoop. Not only so I don have to worry about fit, but much more cost efficiant then a whole new hood.

I was wondering if anyone has found a scoop kit that mimic's the oragonal hood lines. I have a 81 and I was looking at the hood with the same lines as the stock one, just 2in higher on the scoop. Basically giving you a much taller scoop but close to the same look.

Has anyone seen a scoop kit like this to keep consistant with the stock shape of the hood ?? Is it out there or anything ever close? Also Im finding are the square scoops.

Check out Andre's aka Evolution 1980's sweet custom hood. His looks great and is at least 1.5" taller than stock, yet looks stock.

I looked for awhile for a hood for mine and i couldnt find anything i liked so i cut my original cowl hood and raised it to a 4inch cowl induction and reglassed it back togther,its the look i was after.

Check out ACI

I think ACI Vette has scoops as well as complete hoods. Check them out at www.acivette.com and see what you can come up with. Keep us informed! I am looking to replace my stock hood with a stock replacement, but I have the same concerns as you in regards to fitment.

cmegga,
i was in the same boat you are in now. after talking with a bunch of body shops, i decided to go with the high rise from Eckler's. it has the same lines as the stock L-82, but has a 4 5/8" rise instead of the stock 1 1/2" rise. the hood was $550 and it fit like the original. it comes nearly ready to paint. if you are good with paint and glass, then it might be cheaper to mod your original hood instead. Brian

Hood

Here is my hood. It is a modified L88 hood. I think you can get one off these from Eckler's.

Matt

Hey Brutus, that's a mean looking hood but that picture is huge. Do you think you could resize it down a little for the less fortunate dial-up members? If you need any help, give a moderator a buzz.

Re: Better?

Brutus said:
Can't get any smaller than this.

Thanks!

- Eric:w

Brutus

Where did that scoop come from ? I like the look. Was the scoop itself something you purchased and molded on or is it entirly custom ??

cmegga said:
Brutus

Where did that scoop come from ? I like the look. Was the scoop itself something you purchased and molded on or is it entirly custom ??
I bought the scoop itself from a place in Ca when I was there last year. It's not a good reproduction in as far as it's very thin and weak. I had to cut it in half and shape it to fit my hood. The hard part is all the detailing work underneath the hood to make it as presentable as the top....I'm nearly finished.....I think.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus//scoopbh.jpg

Is that the "stingray" scoop.

I think ecklers has the whole hood for sale but I have not seen this kind of hood used on C3's. Yours is the first and I am curious how it looks from the front.

I didn't like the L-88 hood originally but after seeing Chris ride and a few others its starting to grow on me. I was initially going to go with the cowl hood like Andrews (Evolution1980) but having a change of heart. Now I am getting split between the three.

Brutus do you have any pics of the front?

Frank

Frank...That scoop is supposedly an exact duplicate of a 67 BB one, but the details aren't all that true although I'm not that concerned. I just changed things to suit myself as I went along.
Buying a complete hood would have been too easy besides it wasn't what I was after. On top of that it would have been slightly difficult to fit into my suitcases on the plane back here.
Here is a pic I took just after I'd mounted the rh side and cut both halves down the middle to make both sides butt together again.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus//dcp_0011.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom