Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood will not open.. any suggestions?

Jodis81

Corvette
81 B.G. Car #'s Match / Ruby Red
Hood has always been kinda hard to open. Today, hood worked fine. Tonight.. wont open. Only the driver side unlatches.

I messed with it for over a hour tonight with no luck.

Anyone else had this problem before?
What the heck can I do to fix it?

Supposed to attend a car show tomorrow, gonna be real bummed if I cant get the hood open.

What show you going to? If you're south of Chicago, I could meet ya and show you how to open it. Or try this. Release the drivers side, that's the harder side to do when that cable breaks. Then raise the wipers and park them in the up position. Look just inward of the passenger wiper in the wiper compartment, You will see a round plug. Push it out with a scrwedriver. Then take a flat blade screwdriver and insert it straight into the hole, blade horizontal, to the bottom of the hole and just push. Don't pry or twist it, just push. Should release. You're pushing on the lever that the cable pushes on.

GREAT!

Thanks for the help guys.
I was up till 2 am messing with it and no luck.

Would sure help if the wipers would work.
There broke too. :ugh

No luck still!
Was hoping someone today would have experience with this and step in, but I found most guys didn't even know how to release a stuck hood!
Gonna work on it more tomorrow and see what I can do.

What a pain.

Got It Open!
Right tool for the job helps!

Shortie flat head screwdriver works perfect for the pass side.

Thanks again guys.

Congrats on getting the hood open...

How did you do at the Car Show??

Bud

We didn't win anything but had a really good time.

Dont know if you got your hood opened yet, but if not try this..............reach inside the driver side hood with your hand or if your hand is too big use your wifes hand. Grab the cable that goes from the drivers side to the passenger's side hood latch and gently pull it towards you (as you are standing on the drivers side fender). You may get lucky and the passengers side of the hood will unlatch......................

This just happend to my 81, a week ago. After trying to use a screw driver on the passengers side, with the windsheild getting in the way................a friend did just what I just explained. Worked for us! Help it helps

yeah I got the hood open, for future reference after I got the hood open, I practiced using the screwdriver method a few times.
I can now pop any c3 hood open in about 10 seconds.
Piece of cake!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom