Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hooker header side pipes

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
Has anyone changed out the factory exhaust system for the Hooker header side pipes on an '81?

I keep looking at the info. for them from different sellers and some indicate other engine mounts are required and special brackets. Just looking for better info.

The car is nowhere near original so I would like to keep the modifications coming.

tcxd40

Just did this modification late last summer. Installed the Hooker Sidepipe headers and tubes. NO modifications are required except for the A/C...which I have not done at this time.

If you still have the CCC system, you will need to wire-in a heated O2 sensor to get the CCC to go into closed loop. Otherwise it will run rich...really rich in my case at least.
Wiring-in the heated O2 sensor is not difficult, just need an ignition switched +12V, and ground. Also have to extend the O2 sensor wiring harness. Pretty much any heated O2 sensor will work, but I used one with the highest resistance value I could find to keep the current lower since there is no way to cycle the O2 sensor heater off/on. I used a Denso 2344209 which has a 15.7ohm heater and is a universal meaning no connector. This is fine as you have to add wire and use the Corvette's 2 pin O2 sensor connector for the sensor wires and then additional wire for the heater element.

Oh and have to get an O2 sensor bung welded into the collector at just the right angle so that it clears the frame. I can take pictures and send them...when you get that far. Have to give me plenty of advance notice as spare time is really difficult to come by anymore.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks very much!
I can handle all of the work you have outlined. The information is greatly apreciated.

I'm in the process of purchasing the setup, maybe even Saturday. You mentioned the A/C , mine still works, is this a bracket issue ?

tcxd40

A/C....yep..bracket issue. Its the front exhaust bolt on cylinder #2. Stock has that spacer and the headers are going to need the same type of spacer, but I think shorter. This is what I have not done as I still need to get a replacement compressor for mine. Soooo...when you put this on...let me know what is needed in this area.

Again, if you need a picture of the O2 sensor bung...let me know. It took two tries to get the bung in correctly on mine. First time either I marked the location wrong, or the shop put it in wrong. So now I have two bungs on the left collector...one is straight down....that would never work.

Oh and getting the sidetubes in place and then putting the lower trim panels in place....that is not fun at all. Took more time than putting the headers in.......good thing I have a wife that likes to help me.....:rotfl

I had a conversation with my inspection mech. Being the car is over 15 years old it qualifies as a classic and will be driven under 5K per year. Which means I can modify just about anything I want. So I may just remove all of the CCC eqpt. and go with a traditional distributor and carb, which means no O2 or emssions crap.

I'll keep you informed as to the progess.

tcxd40

Here in Arizona the "magic" number is 25 years old. I too could replace the CCC, but the system does work well. Yes, do keep us informed as to what you do. Wife and I sure like the sidepipes...be sure to get some type of heat shield on them though....either the very nice stainless steel, chrome, or painted raw steel. I got the raw steel ones and painted them black to go with the black sidepipes.

I too will have the all black side pipes I'm not much for chrome.

tcxd40

I too will have the all black side pipes I'm not much for chrome.

tcxd40

When I was buying mine I did a google search and found that Amazon marketplace (or something like that) showed the best price. It took almost three weeks to get them, but the price was worth the wait. If you are not in a hurry, check it out. Oh and also be sure to get mufflers....I started without any....no way....be deaf in 30 minutes. I got the max flow mufflers and recommend them. Wife and I can listen to the radio and still talk except on acceleration....which at that time we are both listening to the sidepipes roar...as in the song.

what is the best price you guys got on the hooker headers, tubes and mufflers? chrome

I 've seen the price all over the place. For chrome best number I've gotten was $1000.00 delivered, for all black ,which is what I want, best price I had was $750.00 new, however I was not to pleased with the sellers atttitude so I dicided to pass. I'll find another set.
tcxd40

where did you get the 1000.00 price for the chrome ones?

I'll check my data base and see where those numbers came from.

I think it was a Performance Inlt. in Calif. but not sure. I purchased the Borla for my '93 from them and it was only $977.00 delevered to the door. Whereas everybody else was asking $1100.00 or more and an additional $130.00 for shipping.

They had the cheapest prices around.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom