Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hooker Headers Installation Tips...

A

Ala75Vette

Just got my Hooker Headers & sidepipes from Jet-Hot today, and am looking forward to installing them starting this weekend. I'd love to believe it's a 'one day' job (with a little up front prep), but I'm skeptical. Tips on doing this job...? I've read the instructions, and apparently you have to mod the rocker panels (as in cut them according to the provided specs.... which are a little fuzzy on my copy of the instructions). You just can't believe how excited I am about getting these on my car, but I want to do it 'right' the first time. Those rocker panels are rather expensive to replace, too, so if I'm going to cut them, I want to know I'm doing that properly before I start the job. I've got the alternator & AC brackets required for the headers. Thanks for any words of wisdom....

Frank

Frank,
when i did mine, i had the whole car up on jackstands. the frame was a foot higher than just sitting on the tires. this will enable you to slide the headers into place from the bottom. remove the starter before trying to fit them, it will be easier and you might want to think about a ministarter since you under there. also remove the rocker panels before install of the headers. i put the headers on loosely with two bolts. this allowed me to move the collector section when fitting the rocker covers. you can trim a little at a time this way, avoiding cutting too much out and looking like crap. a jig saw works good for cutting the aluminum covers, but tin snips or a Dremel tool would also work. you most likely will have to remove the rocker covers after they are trimmed to install the side pipes. then snake the cover down into place to finish the job. try emailing Hooker on the Holley website, they probably have more legible directions. Brian

He's right about getting the car up. I got mine on with removing the starter, but it is a little easier with it off. It's just a pain to get it back on. Remove the rovker panels and get everything in place. Then you can fit the rocker back by only modifing what exactualy needs to be done. Every set is a little diferent from the other, so you may need to cut less or more than stated. It took me, working by myself, about 4 hours to get the old pipes and header off and the new headers all bolted on. Just take your time and be careful. I removed the spark plugs as well, just to keep from breaking any and it gave me more room to work. OH yes, disconnect the battery!!!!

Good Luck

Id go with Stage 8 fasteners. Mine have been real good. Fortunately for me., my Hooker Super Comps with Jet Coating were already on the car when i bought it.

remove the clutter... oil temp sender, colant temp sender, plugs, starter if need, and perhaps your valve covers.

I did sides on my 75 and I got it up almost 2 feet in the air on stands, went in from the bottom 2 people are better than 1, as the person under does the wiggling and pushing while the person on top guides and bolts em in.

Bill

Well, I'll be working on it this weekend. Thanks, guys, for all the advice.... I'll post pics & updates later. I'll be spending this week "prepping" for it: installing the STS baffles in the sidepipes; removing the rocker panels; buying new plugs, wires, and oil, along with the fasteners (stage 8s, most likely); borrowing a jigsaw from my neighbor to cut the rocker panels (although I'll probably buy a thin blade for it at Lowe's); then doing some preliminary bolts & parts removal and putting it up on jack stands Friday night. Thanks for all the tips....!

Frank

you guys that have installed the side mounts, any spark plug or wire clearance problems at the headers? what plug wires are you using?
thanks

Its a tight fit on some fo the plugs, you can no longer use a socket to drive them in or out on the effected ones.

Put a little bit on anit-sieze on them and use your open end wrench. works like a charm.

As for plug wires, I didnt and couldnt find the proper length wires so I had a set custom made (they route down under/alongside the block) And finding ones that route in the lower shield was impossible, at first I bought to sets and mixed and matched, but didnt like that either, so got em made at the local Marine supply shop.

Bill

well, brother-in-law got sick and was a no-show for this weekend.
:cry
fortunately, I did manage to get the old exhaust off, AC compressor off, rocker panels off, but still have to get the manifolds + sundry accessories (including alt, plugs, etc.) off before we proceed, next weekend. I had even done my 'homework' and installed the STS baffles in the sidepipes, and put the car up on jack stands. Oh well.
;shrug
It won't take much more of this to motivate me to get my own air tools, although that's already high on 'the list.' In the mean time, I'll almost certainly tinker a bit evenings this week, so we probably won't have tooo much left to do by the weekend (hopefully). Keep you guys posted....

Frank

well, finally got the Hooker headers/sidepipes mounted this weekend. What a rush! The car looks great, the engine runs cooler, and the sound is awesome! I got the headers/sidepipes from Jet Hot, ceramic coated inside & out, and installed STS spiral baffles. It was a very carefully researched combination of parts, and I've got to say, so far I'm totally satisfied! Definitely not too loud, lopes at low rpm, sounds intimidating during acceleration, but levels off/is 'quiet' at cruise speed. The leg burn factor is a minor downside, but I've got to say, man....! What a great look, enormous improvement! Here's a pic of the car with sidepipes installed....

They look awesome!

Congrats, very nice job!

Pipes look super

I am rebuilding my suspension currently, but will be doing the pipes and headers soon. Could you post the part numbers you used for the headers, pipes and baffles?

B

....as for part numbers for the hardware. If you're shopping around, Summit Racing's part numbers are "HOK-2224-1" for the headers & "HOK-50735-1" for the sidepipes, viewable at their website: http://www.summitracing.com I got mine from Jet-Hot (http://www.jet-hot.com). Summit is slightly (by a couple of hundred bucks) cheaper than Jet-Hot, but if you order them from Jet-Hot, they can ship them direct to you, already coated, inside & out (versus just outside coated for Summit's). The cost of shipping would have offset my savings gains by getting them elsewhere first, then shipping them to Jet-Hot, but you never know when you're gonna run into a great deal, so I'd say shop around and ask if you can get a "better" price than the listed ones. Jeg's often has competitive prices, just depends on what you're looking for. I got the spiral baffles from Scott at the C3SharkTank store, http://www.c3sharktank.com He's got great pricing/shipping options -- better than getting them direct from STS at http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com So far I sure am happy with mine.... hope your quest turns out as well, BlackShark & wrc3 !!!!
:D

Thanks for all the sidepipe info. I just sold my '69 (mistake) that had factory pipes. I'm buying a '76 and pipes are high on my list to do.

Has anyone ever fit the '69 style sidepipes onto a '76 vintage?

Did you find that you had to remove any portion from the rocker panels as you originally thought?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom