Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hooker side exhaust and Rocker panels

00fxd

Corvette
'65 Convertable
Can anyone supply me with a close up pic of how they cut they're rocker panel trim to fit the side exhaust?

Can anyone supply me with a close up pic of how they cut they're rocker panel trim to fit the side exhaust?

With the hooker side exhaust I did not have to cut mine.

Once you click on the picture there is a an option to enlarge the picture. I will give you a closer view, you will see that my tabs are still there.

Here is a pic with the headers on, I did test fit the tubes and I will not have to cut the tabs at all.

Hope that helps.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck;
I don't have to remove my tabs either, I'm pretty sure that the rocker panels themselves have to be trimmed.

Thanks Chuck;
I don't have to remove my tabs either, I'm pretty sure that the rocker panels themselves have to be trimmed.

I did cut the front fender tab because I thought I read you had to but my fender would have cleared also. If I had the body still on I would have posted a pic but I have it off already. I did not cut anything on the rocker panel and it was fine. If your talking about the rear fender tab, I cut mine flush with the rear but again mine would have cleared the headers.

Chuck

Did both of your cars have factory side exhaust? I am working on a deal on a '63 coupe and if I end up with the car, I am considering the Hooker side exhaust. However, I refuse to cut the body. I will only do the side pipes if I can put it back to stock. I thought I read somewhere that the lower fender area had to be trimmed on a rear exhaust car when adding side exhaust. Your coupe looks GREAT with those headers hanging out! Thanks for any tips.

Chris

Did both of your cars have factory side exhaust? I am working on a deal on a '63 coupe and if I end up with the car, I am considering the Hooker side exhaust. However, I refuse to cut the body. I will only do the side pipes if I can put it back to stock. I thought I read somewhere that the lower fender area had to be trimmed on a rear exhaust car when adding side exhaust. Your coupe looks GREAT with those headers hanging out! Thanks for any tips.

Chris

Chris,

I read you had to cut the lower fender area also and did it berfore putting the body down.

I would not had to, it would have cleared, my car was a rear exit exhaust car and had the lower fender tab.

Chuck

Any fender area that must be cut for Hookers is covered by rocker panels anyway. Oringinal GM sidepipe cars had the fiberglass trimmed to fit as well I understand. I just would like to see a close up of the front rocker panel area with the headers installed.

Any fender area that must be cut for Hookers is covered by rocker panels anyway. Oringinal GM sidepipe cars had the fiberglass trimmed to fit as well I understand. I just would like to see a close up of the front rocker panel area with the headers installed.

Sorry, I don't have my body on anymore. I'm trying to sell the frame and front suspension, if that does not happen I have to powdercoat parts again.

Chuck

Should fit with no cuts

The area where the exhaust exits the engine bay on the lower leading fender edge is the only area that was cut at the factory for factory pipes.

And that was to give more clearance for:puke 'heat' blistering paint and fiberglass.

The biggest problem with headers is NOISE.........and when you or your gal exit the car, especially wearing shorts on a summer day is burning your legs on the "HOT":boogie side pipes under the door.

Thanks Jim. I still need to know if there's any chance of mounting the Hooker Side Pipes without cutting the rocker panels. It doesn't look like it. I'm ready to cut :ugh

Thanks Jim. I still need to know if there's any chance of mounting the Hooker Side Pipes without cutting the rocker panels. It doesn't look like it. I'm ready to cut :ugh

Sorry but I am not sure what you are cutting.

1. On the hooker headers, I would have been able to clear the rocker on the front fender (Tab that sticks down).

2. Tabs clears by alot.

3.Rocker trim under door is different from trim for the back exhaust. Unless you are cutting the rear exhaust trim to bolt to the frame, is that it?

4. turn out is before the rear fender.

So I don't know what you're going to cut? I did NOT need to cut anything with my Hooker side exhaust.

Chuck

I mean the shiney rocker panel trim along the bottom side of the car. I know years ago we put the Hooker set on a '64 and had to cut away quite a bit of the rocker panel trim at the front. The mounting tabs for the lower mounts of the rocker panel are not an issue for me. This is an older set that I have had around for quite a while. Maybe they fit closer to the body than the newer ones

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom