Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Hooker Side Exhaust Headers or standard headers:

Just thumbed through the reply's, i have the Hooker supercomp headers and exhaust. They have baffles and the pipes are not that loud, but if you pull out the baffles... yeah better wear some hearing protection. I have no noticable loss in hp. With a 383CI blueprint and stroker cam, i have over 425hp. Just watch your leg when getting out, or you will donate flesh. I still bare the scare from the day i road tested and purchased her.

There is one thing you should be aware of, these pipes will cause excessive vaginal moisture at a distance of 30 meters, further when the baffles are out. Keep that in mind and have seat covers ready, with direct contact you don't want the leather seats to get damaged. Because I have been told its federal law you cannot wear panties in this type of vehicle, but that's 3rd party information, better safe than sorry in my book.

these pipes will cause excessive vaginal moisture at a distance of 30 meters LOL That's a new one. Sounds like I'm going with side pipes and more rides with my wife.lol
Your car looks great! :w

I'm also running the STS Baffles, and I've drilled 1/2" holes through my center caps. Even so, the pipes are not loud enough to prevent normal conversation in the car, and the STS baffles do not cause a noticable hp loss. I can actually listen to the stock radio while driving (although I need to crank it up a bit...). You can definitely hear the car coming...

Lars

I'm also running the STS Baffles, and I've drilled 1/2" holes through my center caps. Even so, the pipes are not loud enough to prevent normal conversation in the car, and the STS baffles do not cause a noticable hp loss. I can actually listen to the stock radio while driving (although I need to crank it up a bit...). You can definitely hear the car coming...

Lars

Lars, I'm sure the 1st hundred miles or so sound great, but what about after the 1st 600 ? I do take long trips, and that's part of my concern. Could you live with and be happy on a long trip with the sound for the duration of the trip? I'm sure there's a point for anybody that something is to loud for a extented time. Anyhow, just asking about yours and how you would feel about that on YOUR car. :w

My car is a Roadster, and I don't believe in ever putting the top up or rolling up the windows on a Roadster. I haven't had it on any trip over 100 miles yet, but I have gone just short of 100. You have the option to roll the windows up on your Coupe, so you can manage the sound level much more than I can. I've been in cars much louder and more obnoxious than mine - the sound level is more determined by the type of insert you put in the pipes than by the pipes themselves.

Lars

My car is a Roadster, and I don't believe in ever putting the top up or rolling up the windows on a Roadster. I haven't had it on any trip over 100 miles yet, but I have gone just short of 100. You have the option to roll the windows up on your Coupe, so you can manage the sound level much more than I can. I've been in cars much louder and more obnoxious than mine - the sound level is more determined by the type of insert you put in the pipes than by the pipes themselves.

Lars

Gottca: Just trying to get opinions of people to see if they could do the long trip with lets say the STS inserts in side pipes.
Thanks,

Type in STS baffles in youtube. There is a nice road trip video of a big-block Corvette that will give you a good idea of the sound.

Type in STS baffles in youtube. There is a nice road trip video of a big-block Corvette that will give you a good idea of the sound.

Thanks, I will do that.

But someone please just answer this question. If you have sidepipes, or have rode in your buddy's Corvette with sidepipes, could YOU tolerate the sound of the sidepipes ( From inside the car, driving ) for a long trip, say several hundred miles. Listen to music, carry on a conversation?? Anybody could for short trips, but how about that really long one?
I just looking for opinions. :w

While driving or riding:

Someone please just answer this question. If you have sidepipes on your Vette, or have rode in your buddy's Corvette with sidepipes, could YOU tolerate the sound of the sidepipes ( From inside the car, while driving or riding ) for a long trip, say several hundred miles or whatever. Listening to music, carrying on a conversation while driving?? Anybody could for short trips, but how about that really long one?
I'm just looking for opinions. All opinions. They will help me make a decision.
Thanks, :w

Thanks, I will do that.

But someone please just answer this question. If you have sidepipes, or have rode in your buddy's Corvette with sidepipes, could YOU tolerate the sound of the sidepipes ( From inside the car, driving ) for a long trip, say several hundred miles. Listen to music, carry on a conversation?? Anybody could for short trips, but how about that really long one?
I just looking for opinions. :w
Yes drove from Fort Rucker to home (Mississippi) for Cursing the Coast before i deployed. I had no issues with conversation or hearing the stereo. Windows down and tops off is a different story, the wind is louder but you can hear the pipes. Take note i'm half def from two combat tours as well. So its not an issue.

Yes drove from Fort Rucker to home (Mississippi) for Cursing the Coast before i deployed. I had no issues with conversation or hearing the stereo. Windows down and tops off is a different story, the wind is louder but you can hear the pipes. Take note i'm half def from two combat tours as well. So its not an issue.

Thanks for your response, and I really hope you are getting tired of hearing this, because I hope you hear it alot. Thank You for your Service. :w

Hookers FTW

I purchased my black Hooker headers and 4" side pipes quite a few years ago, about '92. I was afraid of the noise so I got the glass pack inserts as a compromise. They were not as loud as I thought they would be and I never had a problem with officer Fukarre. Performance was great, sound was awesome, and they fit my 75 L48 really fine. I didn't have the clearance or quality control problems as mentioned earlier but maybe they were produced in USA back then.

Before I got the Hookers I had the under the car ceramic coated headers with the large stainless tubes and good low restriction mufflers. Being the rebel I tend to be, I removed all the smog equipment including the cat converter. The combo ran really well but a trip from mid Michigan to Cedar Point one summer convinced me to make some changes as my right foot nearly cooked from the extreme heat radiated by the exhaust pipe. Plus, since I previously owned a 68 with side pipes this 75 just never rose to that level before installing the Hookers.

After many years running with the black Hookers my experience has been mostly positive. First thing you learn and you only have to go through this one once. When exiting the vehicle you give the side pipes due respect and you train any passenger how to avoid any unpleasantness prior to getting in. Yes, the pipes can get quite warm. I never had to install any heat shields though as I had to do for the under the car headers previously mentioned.

Most recently I found one of the bolts on the pipe from cyl 7 of my Trick Flow 350-400 aluminum heads came loose and I found it just in time as it was about to be lost forever. I haven't noticed any others coming loose and the gasket seems to be holding ok. I think I dodged the bullet this time. I will check these bolts more often in future.

The latest change I have made was to install these,Dynamic Exhaust Systems, <https: dynamicexhaustsystems.com=""> and they are on the bleeding edge of the noise curve for sure but the sound is so very awesome. They remind me of how my 68 with the side pipes sounded. Truly legendary. You will likely have to settle for listening to your tunes at home and may have to roll up the windows to carry on a conversation. I gladly gave up both in favor of the rumble and the roar.

As for horse power, well I find the classic appearance, the good gas mileage, and the awesome rumble to be fair exchange for a few ponies that may have gone astray.

My car is currently being fitted with the 3.36 diff and having the TH400 rebuilt and very soon I plan on some serious summer cruising.

In short, like the decal that came with the headers, "I Love My Hooker Headers".

One thing that kinda bothers me is the prospect of having to replace them some day as corrosion is sure to happen eventually and recently hearing of the quality control problems apparently associated with the Mexico Mfg. related here. Well, as I always say, enjoy what you have while you have it because it can all be gone in a heartbeat.

Hope this post helps you decide.

As for long trips, the pipes drone on a bit but I don't mind. My hearing, modified during three tours in Nam, now requires hearing aids. I just take them out when driving. The noise isn't that loud. Come over and I will take you for a ride and you can decide. Better yet, risk it. You are young and can recover just fine. Think of all the fun you will have getting those juices aroused at 30M!

</https:>

Last edited:
I wrestled around with the side pipe issue, and I just installed long tube headers instead. I already had a good duel setup, and good Flow Pro chambered mufflers that are low restriction, and some call them down right loud. The problem is NOBODY CAN SEE THEM!!;) They sound beautiful, they have 1 5/8" vs 1 7/8" primaries that every side pipe system seemed to have. I wanted 1 /5/8" for mine.

I did feel a performance gain with the long tubes, but I did install an Edelbrock performer at the same time, so was it the headers, or the intake, or both? Probably both, but I don't care what anybody says, ramhorns are iron manifolds, and are still restrictive!

I would have been plenty satisfied with side pipes, and I love the aggressive look which is right up my ally. As far as carrying on a conversation, with someone, it's difficult already. Not following my directive about watching legs while getting out? I wouldn't make it my problem, but that's me, a smart a$$. I am happy with the throaty sound my long tubes give it.

It's your decision, but when everything is in place I bet you will be happy with either setup.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom