Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hooker side mount problem

J

jon79flavette

I recently installed the 4' hooker side mount pipes and headers. I love them BUT I am getting a loose muffler (insert) rattle on the drivers side. The mufflers can only go in 1 wat and have inlet and outlet clearly marked. I pulled the side pipe a "tapped" the muffler in an attempt to "set" it. I still get the rattle. Also wouldn't this give me uneven back-presure. The pass. side was installed the same way, with no problem. any suggestions. Seems like I am only bring up problems. It still kinda early in this restro............... tell me it gets better!!:confused :confused

Jon,

Are you sure the muffler is causing the rattle? When I used the hooker mufflers they fit so tight that over the time I had them they basically welded themselves to the inside of the tubes by rusting together. What might be causing the rattle, and I'm just making a guess here, is the mounting tabs or the pipes are hitting your rocker panels.

When you slide the mufflers do both ends fit tight? If so they might not be the cause of the rattle.

If you are going to the January NCRS show in Orlando swing by and see me, I'll have a tent set up in the vendor area, you won't be able to miss the banner. You can take a look at my sidepipes and how they mounted as I'll have my Vette right there.

ya scott, the tab mounts are tight/real tight, with hard rubber gromet on the inside and outside, the rocker panels are currently removed. when I took the side pipe back out, turned it downward, the muffler pretty much fell right out. Then I tapped it and it felt like it seated. Now it's clangging again. it is clearly muffler being loose, you put your ear there close, and there is no doubt. side pipes and mufflers were purchased new, no mis-match. the pass side is perfect. What do you think this does to performance is the un-even back presure extreme or even dangerous? I will fix it shortly, just wanted to drive a bit today for a change! Jon

Jon,

I have to say you are the first person I've heard of that had a loose muffler, usually those things are a tight fit. I'm far from being a motor guru so I have no idea what/how it will affect performance but I do know the mufflers are pretty restrictive. And to say the least that a rattling noise would drive me nuts, well, ok, more nuts :D

You might want to consider the spiral baffles at some point, much less restricitve. On This Page is some info about them, there's even a couple sound/video files you can listen to. I won't push them on you but almost everyone I know with sidepipes has switched from the hookers to these, I'll have one set at the show but if they sell quick I still have a sample you can see.

Jon,

I have to say you are the first person I've heard of that had a loose muffler, usually those things are a tight fit. I'm far from being a motor guru so I have no idea what/how it will affect performance but I do know the mufflers are pretty restrictive. And to say the least that a rattling noise would drive me nuts, well, ok, more nuts :D

You might want to consider the spiral baffles at some point, much less restricitve. On This Page is some info about them, there's even a couple sound/video files you can listen to. I won't push them on you but almost everyone I know with sidepipes has switched from the hookers to these, I'll have one set at the show but if they sell quick I still have a sample you can see.
I have a new set as well that are verey loose, I have not run car yet but was thinking, thats going to rattle. After I get the car running I will drill and bolt the muffler in if its a problem. I have the stainless headers and the more quiet mufflers, at least by the description of them. BigTom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom