Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn activates when turning steering wheel

V

Vetteharley

I need help! After my car sits in the hot sun for awhile, my horn will sound off for a split second when I turn my steering wheel....mostly to the left but sometimes to the right. It doesn't do this when the car is cool and driving straight. It's driving me nuts...not to mention the dirty looks I get from other drivers who think I'm tooting my horn at them.

I checked the horn assembly in the steering column and it look okay. Where do I check for a short? Again, it only toots when I turn the steering. HELP!!!!!!

Its most likely your turn signal switch in the column. Mine did the exact same thing when I turned the wheel. Ecklers has the real AC/Delco version in stock last time I purchased (2 months ago).

Its most likely your turn signal switch in the column. Mine did the exact same thing when I turned the wheel. Ecklers has the real AC/Delco version in stock last time I purchased (2 months ago).

Thanks for your reply but....it also happens when I don't use the turn signal. Like when I turn into my driveway or garage.

The horn honks when the contact under the horn button grounds and closes the circuit. If your horn is sounding after it has set in the sun and warmed up, my guess is that simple expansion of the metal is causing the contact. I would remove the horn button and R&R the contact. You may need a shim.
:)

There is a paper gasket in between the metal brackets. Yours is probably deteriorated (mine was). Just use the old one as a template, and cut a new one out of thin cardboard. If your plastic rivits are gone, you can use nylon screws (home depot) to replace them too!

Thanks guys for the replies.....will try it and hopefully it's resolved.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom