Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: horn button emblem

jb's73

Corvette
1973 L 82 4sp cpe
I JUST GOT A NEW HORN BUTTON EMBLEM FOR MY 73 & WENT TO CHANGE IT AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET THE OLD ONE OFF IT LOOKS LIKE 3 SMALL RIVETS ARE HOLDING IT ON ? NOT SURE. I TRIED ALLEN WRENCHS BUT I DONT BELIEVE IT'S A ALLEN SCREW? IF THEY ARE SMALL RIVETS HOW DO I PUT THE NEW ONE ON? WOULD APPERICATE ANY SUGGESTIONS. THANKS. JB.;shrug

Just pull it straight off - it's held on by a retainer with spring clips, and just snaps back on. :)

There are 3 studs cast into the cap (#1 in the pic below) that get peened over to hold the emblem in. Not sure if you can actually change it. I just bought another cap.

71hornbutton.jpg

I bought all new parts from either Zip or Ecklers ( a buttload of money for little parts) and when I tried to peen over the rivets on the new one to hold the emblem in place, they just shattered. After numerous tries with epoxy and super glue I ended up buying a used one that was in great shape. When I called the place I bought the new parts from, they said SORRY!

Those three studs from the cap are hollow on the end, and were spin-riveted to peen them over after the emblem and retainer were assembled to the cap. The peened-over ends of the studs must be cut off, then you drill tiny holes in the ends of the studs, tap them, and use tiny screws to hold it together.

It's a lot simpler to just buy the complete cap assembly - Paragon has them.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom