Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Horn Button

berry1133@bellsouth.net

I've installed a new steering column and steering wheel on my Vette (the steering wheel was Bubbatized by the previous owner). Anyway, I digressed. With the horn button retainer, does it fit inside or outside of the ring on the upper horn contact?

Thanks.

You've lost me. Horn contact and button retainer are one piece, are they not? What year column did you install?

:thumb

It's a 1981 column. The cap, button, and retainer come together to form one piece. This snaps onto the steering wheel at the horn contact. The snap on piece has a ring that snaps onto the horn contact. Does the removable piece (cap, button, retainer) ring go inside or outside of the ring that is on the steering column? Sorry if I'm confusing everyone.

BBerry

:w Berry,

Here are a couple prints from the AIM.. The GM Shop Manual also has a very good section about the steering wheel and horn assy. ;)

Good Luck
Bud
:w

Attachments

• 81 Steering Col_02.jpg
    81 Steering Col_02.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 81 Steering Col_01.jpg
    81 Steering Col_01.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 77
Thanks. I do have the AIM and shop manual. However, the do not show in detail of how the two pieces come together. I was hoping that someone could recall how the two pieces snap together (is the snap ring on the retainer inside or outside the snap ring of the horn contact).

I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

BBerry

I was thinking inside but I don't know. When you're putting it on, you'll know :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom