Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn Button

herron

Corvette
1981 T-Top, Silver over Blue
How easy is it to replace this part:

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=A8652&dept_id=1717

I finally got new horns to replace the old, corroded pair that were on the car. Cleaned connectors, checked fuses, and got a new relay. Horn works now...sometimes. Seems to miss if you are pressing the bottom part of the horn ring, but works if you press the top of the ring (not something you are likely to look at when using the horn in an emergency).

Anyway, two of the little white contact knobs seem to be missing on mine, and I'm assuming they have something to do with the behavior (or not) of the horn. I'm not familiar with replacing this, and wondered if it was as straightforward as it seems. I don't want to have to tear down the steering column just yet (Dream Cruise weekend is coming) if I don't have to. I also wondered if there was somewhere to get just those little white contacts?

5-minute job - disconnect battery, pop horn button off, remove three screws, remove part, install new part, put three screws back in, pop horn button back on, connect battery. :)

I just bought one for my 76, it replaces very easy but I can't get the button to stay on. May sure the length of the arm that presses the button in the column is the same length.

Mine had the same problem. I went to Home Depot, got some nylon screws and replaced the plastic rivits. The paper gasket was easy to do.. just cardboard. Works great, and cost me $3.00 to fix!

There's a paper gasket?

Sounds like an easy fix. Thanks.

Hey great Idea on the plastic screws but I don't have any paper gasket. Oh well I am going to get some screws and see if I can't make mine work. Thanks

Hey did you get it fix'ed. That last link shows the plasctic rivets that keep the two parts of the horn button holder together. I have not worked on mine yet. Let me know

The "gasket" is an insulator between the Two pieces of metal held together by the plastic rivets. If you don't put this insulator between the two, your horn will blow all the time. One can be made out of gasket material. Also this assembly tends to rust up so it my operate the horn if pressed on diffrent areas of the horn button and some my not.

Hey did you get it fix'ed. That last link shows the plasctic rivets that keep the two parts of the horn button holder together. I have not worked on mine yet. Let me know
I ordered the whole replacement unit, not just the plastic rivets. Ordered it from Eckler's...it has not arrived yet. Will let you know if it solves the problem. ;)

The "gasket" is an insulator between the Two pieces of metal held together by the plastic rivets. If you don't put this insulator between the two, your horn will blow all the time. One can be made out of gasket material. Also this assembly tends to rust up so it my operate the horn if pressed on diffrent areas of the horn button and some my not.
Thanks for the info. When the new piece comes, I will make an insulator if there is not one already there. I'll also clean the metal areas with Flitz, just to make sure there's a good contact.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works. :)

Thanks for the info. When the new piece comes, I will make an insulator if there is not one already there. I'll also clean the metal areas with Flitz, just to make sure there's a good contact.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works. :)

If you bought the contact assembly, you don't need any insulators or gaskets - just bolt it in. :)

Cool. Thanks for the update. Part still has not arrived, so it looks like next weekend! ;)

The only way I ever got mine to work was to order an orginal GM part, the after market ones look the same but don't work the same. I never could get them to hold the horn button in place. So i got a orginal GM part and it snapped right in place. Hope thishelps

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom