Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

horn not working

jojwillen

Just bought an 89 convertible and horn doesn't work. Any suggestions (I'm not a mechanic)?
Thanks

When you push the horn button do you hear a faint clicking of the horn relay inside the car? If Not, check fuses first. If so, see if you are getting power to the horns themselves when you push the horn button. You'll need a test light or a voltmeter. They are in the nose on the outside of the frame rail on each side. I had to replace the horns in my '90 because they rotted out from age.

Furthermore; You may also NOT be making the ground when you push the horn button. There is a piece known to wear out in the steering wheel that makes the ground connection too. Try to Goggle it. You may want to have a "trusted" mechanic take a look at it if this doesn't help.

Any more than that you will need the Factory Service Manual because the horns can be activated by the VATS system(Vehicle Anti-Theft System.) It "can" get complicated if you aren't familiar with DC electrical in Corvette's.

You can get the FSM on CD from Corvette Central. It's a tool worth it's weight in "Diamonds!"

My 96 CE's horn doesn't work either and mechanic looked at it and the Plastic for the horn inside the steering wheel was in pieces, and no parts to fix it

My 96 horns didn't work either. Funny thing was, the car passed a PA safety inspection without working horns!! (A month earlier) Not only did they not work, there were no switches or wiring in the steering wheel!! I found the replacement parts on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the horns work when you intentionally set off the alarm? If = YES, most of the horn system is functioning. Go to the next paragraph.

An 89 has a completely different horn button arrangement than the 90-96.

Pull the horn button off gently. It just pulls out. See if the little wire is still attached to the white tower sticking up through the steering wheel. If it isn't, the tang on the tower may be broken off. Happens when someone pulls too hard removing the horn button and the wire gets jerked out.

The tower piece used to be serviced by GM for a few bucks. It may still be. I've successfully cut a new slot into the tower with an exacto knife, but the steering wheel has to be removed and the contact ring and tower removed to work on it.

Last edited:
When the part gets old they get brittle and break. Don't waste your time with it.
Dorman makes a replacement piece that is available at all major parts stores. I bought one at Car Quest. $3.95 I think.
All you have to do is pull the steering wheel. Change out the turn signal cam while you are in there too.
PIECE OF CAKE!

Last edited:
GENTLY remove the horn button from the steering wheel center and there is a u-shaped retainer that the button fits into. Make sure it is straight and clean the edges where the button clips into the retainer. The horn relay receives it's ground signal through this retainer to the steering column when the horn button is pushed.

Second, checking the fuse is easy. Getting to the fuse.....not so much. I got a '86 coupe and I'm going out on a limb here in presuming the fuse blocks are similar between years. My '86 has a auxiliary fuse panel behind the warning light module above the stereo head. You pull the cluster surround, then pull the warning light/cluster and there is a 4-fuse panel that contains the horn fuse and the UTD (Universal Theft Deterrent fuse and one ECM fuse. The starter enable relay is in this area also.

Hope this helps.
Jonathan.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom