Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Horn Relay

jetset0045

Corvette
1974 Stingray Coupe
Anyone know where the horn relay is on a 74 stingray?....can't seem to locate it on my car!....:confused

Anyone know where the horn relay is on a 74 stingray?....can't seem to locate it on my car!....:confused
my 73 stingray is on the drivers side in the engine compartment on the rear part of wheel well back under the fender. maybe yours is in same place.

this is on my 73
black
dark green
red (2-times) tied togeather
orange
black

If you give me your email I will send wiring picture to you.

It's behind the dash on a 74.

This might help you find it.
Schematics are here. Index of /johdotukset

hornrelay.jpg

petes, if i'm seeing that right, that picture is looking at the rear of the instrument cluster, and it's above the tach??.....

Yes, that picture is from page 12-32 in the 74 Service Manual, it shows the horn relay in an impossible to reach place.
What makes you think the relay is bad? Have you tested the horns?

I'm not sure that the relay is bad...when i acquired the car, it was someone else's project that, for whatever reason, the disconnected mostly eveything electrical...as i've went through the car, most of the correct wiring is present, just a matter of tracing and hooking back up...i've traced the horn wires back from the horn, into the harness going into the fusebox i think....but there is no horn button on the wheel, and i don't think there is even a wire running up the coluum to the wheel...so i figured the relay would be a way to trace the thing...

No horn!

OK, then lets start at the beginning and see what's wrong.
First lets make sure that the horns work.
First open the hood and disconnect the green wire to the top horn, it should have a 'Double' connector, one connects to the top horn and the second side continues on and goes to the other horn, with those removed run a jumper with 12 volts (+) to each horn connection, that should make each horn blow. If not then the horns are bad, if the horns do blow lets move on.
The 'Courtesy' light fuse supplies power to the horn relay so make sure that fuse is good.
You need a horn button and a few other parts to make the horn blow if there are some parts missing then we have to figure out what else you need. Most of the vendors have a good diagram of the horn button and the needed parts. Lets got to there links and see if we can find out what you are missing.
There is a wire that runs from the "Harmonic' connection at the bottom of the steering column to the horn button but that should still be there so lets see whats missing at the horn button before we got into that.
Test the horns and lets see if we can get a good picture of what's under the horn button that you need and we'll go from there.

Haven't pulled the wheel yet, so i can't tell you about a through h.....but i know i'm missing about n through s on that diagram....

hey petes, thanks for the help buddy, this is going to be this weekend's project!...I'll let you know how it turns out...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom