Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Horse power

Welcome to CAC!!!!
enjoy!!!!

what year vette????

Careful with horsepower claims. The 180 that GM states for your car is SAE net. Crate engine and dyno numbers are stated in Gross HP (no mufflers, air cleaner, drive belts, accessories etc). Sometimes there's 25% difference so perhaps your 315 expected HP would be closer to 235 SAE net. If that's worth $1500 to you that's great but you'll still be passed by many Honda Civics.

Think about getting the compression ratio up beyond the stock 9:1 as a base mod.

First, welcome to CAC and the group..

To elaborate a bit and shortened for brevity, there are two types of dyno, the engine dyno and the chassis dyno. The engine dyno measures flywheel horsepower. The engine is mounted in a stand and its output power is measured at the flywheel. The chassis dyno measures horsepower at the rear wheels or RWHP. As there aren't any losses at the flywheel, FWHP is always greater than RWHP.
The reason why don't the OEMs use RWHP is floor space. A few engine dynos could fit in the space of one chassis dyno. Also, there is safety. In an engine dyno, the engine is bolted to a HD steel frame which is bolted to the floor using studs embedded in concrete.
On a chassis dyno, the car is held with straps on the rollers which is not as safe.

Careful with horsepower claims. The 180 that GM states for your car is SAE net. Crate engine and dyno numbers are stated in Gross HP (no mufflers, air cleaner, drive belts, accessories etc). Sometimes there's 25% difference so perhaps your 315 expected HP would be closer to 235 SAE net. If that's worth $1500 to you that's great but you'll still be passed by many Honda Civics.

Think about getting the compression ratio up beyond the stock 9:1 as a base mod.

Amen to that. From what I've read, you can get a 180 hp L48 to push past 200 hp just by helping it breath better, like an open element air cleaner, and duels, w/chambered mufflers. As far as being passed by Honda Civics and the like, the newer cars are "horse power in a can". Old school just can't compete with ECM cars without being essentially undrivable.

So in your opinion it's not worth it? I had a corvette mechanic who owns a gorgeous 62 split window tell this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To expand even further, both gross and SAE net HP numbers are engine dyno, not chassis dyno.

Correct and to expand even further, the difference between gross and net are defined by SAE Standards.

SAE Gross HP, per SAE Standards J245 and J1996, means a "naked" engine with no accessories (WPs or alternators). free flowing headers, no mufflers and "optimal" ignition timing.

SAE Net HP, per SAE Standards J1349 and J2723, means stock ignition timing, fuel delivery (injection or old school carburetion), exhaust and engine accessories.

Both cycles or as we say tests are in an engine stand or it would be RWHP and not SAE gross or net which are two kinds of FWHP. :D

As I'm retired now, SAE may have added more Standards and undoubtedly ISO has their version.. Which, as usual would be more confusing.

Thinking about edelbrock kit 2022 to boost my 350/180hp to 315hp. Will that work
IMG_0183.JPG

nice pic!!!

At work one of our buildings put in a chassis dyno that managed a vehicles with 4 drive axles . . cool stuff

What year is the car?
What's the engine's compression ratio, now?

What do you currently have for exhaust?

Ok, I have a new question. Does the motor have to come out to put a different cam in. 350 short block

I get asked a lot about power when building a vette diff or trailing arms, how much power will it handle? My first answer is always "What are you going to use the car for?" Same applies to power. If you are new to old vettes and just want to drive it with some punch then a cam, intake, real dual exhaust, carb and Ign tuning will be nice. If you want to really race it you can but once you build the power up you have to consider everything South of the flywheel. Not so bad up to about 400hp but after that things will break with some abuse and cost a lot to repair. My son's 75 has 500hp at the wheels with a mini blower and nox it will do the 1/4 in the high 10's if driven right with the right track and temps but it's almost useless to drive on the street. Yes it's legal and driveable but I will never sit it. With racing seats, a full cage, and more switches then a jet, not to mention the volume of exhaust noise it has. I must be getting old, but that just nothing for me and I custom built the whole drivetrain. I go out in my 325hp 72 automatic and cruise as far away from people and cities as I can get. It's my own free time and I don't care who is passing me. I have this car because that is what I wanted 45 years ago and know it's limitations.

So my advice, if you like the car and are only going to drive it- then drive it. If it runs good and is reliable save your money for gas and put on the miles.:w

I get asked a lot about power when building a vette diff or trailing arms, how much power will it handle? My first answer is always "What are you going to use the car for?" Same applies to power. If you are new to old vettes and just want to drive it with some punch then a cam, intake, real dual exhaust, carb and Ign tuning will be nice. If you want to really race it you can but once you build the power up you have to consider everything South of the flywheel. Not so bad up to about 400hp but after that things will break with some abuse and cost a lot to repair. My son's 75 has 500hp at the wheels with a mini blower and nox it will do the 1/4 in the high 10's if driven right with the right track and temps but it's almost useless to drive on the street. Yes it's legal and driveable but I will never sit it. With racing seats, a full cage, and more switches then a jet, not to mention the volume of exhaust noise it has. I must be getting old, but that just nothing for me and I custom built the whole drivetrain. I go out in my 325hp 72 automatic and cruise as far away from people and cities as I can get. It's my own free time and I don't care who is passing me. I have this car because that is what I wanted 45 years ago and know it's limitations.

So my advice, if you like the car and are only going to drive it- then drive it. If it runs good and is reliable save your money for gas and put on the miles.:w

So just for a guy thing wanting just a few more hp would u consider the elderbrock 2022 kit

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom