Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horsepower ratings mysterys

Re: Drivetrain Losses

Stan A said:
According to GM Tech department, the following is the breakdown on loss power from the flywheel to the rear wheels:

ZF6...........................15%
4+3..........................16%
700R.........................17%

Stan

The man has it down to a science!

15% isn't that bad of a loss right?

Loss Factor

15% is not really bad but I understand that GM has a development program and I don't know which company it is with but a new 6 speed on the drawing board that will have losses less than 10%.As when we may see it, or not see it, is a good question.

This is a way to increase hp without adding hp. Think of the cost savings! Well it sounds good to me. Hope something like this makes it to the street vehicle in the near future.

Stan

What's this talk about a "tritronic" transmission? Is it any good? Aren't those used on the Porsche auto's?

And where in the world did you find a 90 6-speed? I've looked on eBay, in the classifieds and all I find are auto's. I'd like to get a 90 6-speed within a year.

BullWinkle said:
What's this talk about a "tritronic" transmission? Is it any good? Aren't those used on the Porsche auto's?

Sorry, I meant "tiptronic."

90 6speed

Hi Bullwinkle,

actually, the 1990 6 speed was given to David F and myself by one of the local dealers who David works with and I associate with regarding automotive dealings. You are right. They are hard to locate and in almost showroom condition is even tougher. In fact it is easier to find a 1990 6 speed Twin Turbo Callaway car than the stock one that is in the condition I have mentioned.

The tiptonic was a Porsche development concept. It has worked well for those who want to shift once in a while. However, the performance numbers show that this tranny is not ideal for maximum acceleration performance. It was tried in the Porsche TT back in 2000. Sells were slow. I believe that they have made it an option after that but I could be wrong.

Good luck on your search for a 1990 6 speed. By the way who do you like in the eastern division of baseball: Braves, Phillies, Mets, or long shot Florida?

Stan

My mind says Braves because they've just dominated the East for like the past 10 years; but I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets won the East. They made some good moves and last season was kind of embarrassing for them.

Then again, with me being from the Chicago suburbs, I'd like the Sox to do well. Big Hurt is healthy and ready to go!

They went with the digital/analog gauges in 1991 right? But yours is still a fully digital right? But I'll keep my eyes open on eBay because they sell every and anything on there.

Dash Looks

Hi,

The 1990 and later had the analog gauges.

Being a Braves fan all my life and being spoiled for the past ten years has made me realize that there is more to baseball than the divisonal winners. I believe that this will be the year of the Mets followed by the Phillies and then Atlanta. The pitching is finally fading away...

Good luck,

Stan

What do you think of the fact that Rafael Furcal aged 2 years over the winter?:L :L :L

But I'm going with either the Cubs or Cardinals as NL winners, losing to the Yankees in the WS.:r

So an easier route would be the LT-1 6-speeds? But I don't really want to mess with that optispark thing, it scares me! I guess if I can't find a 89-90 6-speed, I'll have to go back and get a C3, their parts are a little bit less expensive.

Baseball???

Sounds good to me...............

Baseball was thrown in just to see if anyone was paying attention-chuckles!

Stan

Net H.P.

Not to argue with vettepilot, but the net horsepower started in the 1972 model year. The '71's were down due to the loss of compression, not the rating method. LT-1's still had 330 h.p., and you lost h.p.due to the low compression. The '71 454 LS-5 had 365 h.p. while the '72 LS-5 only had 245 h.p. even though they were almost identical engines. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Joe

Engineers and horsepower...

Consider this: Horespower and torque are meanlingless; engineers talk cylinder pressure."

That was a statement from the "Mission: Impossible" article (Part three) in April's Corvette Fever. Food for thought.

_ken :w

Thank You wagonmaster,
I think you are correct on that year. I must be suffering from memory loss after all these years. You know the memory is the second thing to go at our age, I can't remember the first. LOL
BTW, no offense taken on my end, that's why we have an open forum and freedom of speech. Thanks for setting the record straight.
vettepilot :w

What was the biggest reason that GM stopped putting big blocks in the Corvette? Was it purely for emissions?

Is it totally unconceivable that GM will put another 427 in the Corvette?

Big Block elimination

The first reason was fuel mileage/emissions.

The second was probably cost.

The third was that same or similar power/torque could be made on a smaller block because of better technical improvements (relates to the first and second reasons).

The forth could be weight issue. Which relates to fuel economy.

The fifth was that the HP race was over because of the first four reasons.

I am sure that there were other reasons too.

These just come to mind at this time.

Stan

Now they probably wouldn't do it due to CAFE. Not the eatery! Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Everything a car maker builds HAS to be factored in to mix for the feds. Anything that is thirsty, fuel wise usually doesn't make the cut for that reason. Dodge Viper, for instance, is so low in terms of production numbers that it doesn't really affect the total outcome. I don't think GM will produce something in such low production numbers anymore. Of course with EFI and computers......HMMMM how 'bout an all aluminum 502 for the C6???
Joe

Not trying to get this off subject ... but

Horse Power decline of the 70's.. all the reason given and one name comes to mind NADER... then there were the INSURANCE Companies lobbyist's :mad that also had an influence on the "Hot Car Market" IMHO..

BudD
:w

i dynoed my 2000 c5 when it was stock, and it made 305.7 bhp at the rear wheels, after installing B & B Tri-Flo exhaust back to the dyno i went, and made a ground pounding 328.9 bhp at the rear wheels. i think the LS1 is a lil under rated.

untchble said:
i dynoed my 2000 c5 when it was stock, and it made 305.7 bhp at the rear wheels, after installing B & B Tri-Flo exhaust back to the dyno i went, and made a ground pounding 328.9 bhp at the rear wheels. i think the LS1 is a lil under rated.

Wow, a 20+ RWHP improvement with a B&B Tri-Flo is incredible. Of course that system cost like $1000? so I would expect a lot for my money.

Do you have a 6 speed or auto?

What's up with that Vortex Ram Air thing?

Horsepower variences

Untchble,

You are half right in your statement. We have tested C5-LS1 cars with horsepower ranging from 313hp net to 362hp net.

GM has what is commonly referred to as a HP Engine Build Varience" which can range from 2% to 10% difference from car to car( most of the higher percentage differences are on the low side). This is caused by suppliers parts inconsistancies with the manufacturing of the parts themselves.In addition, different companies supplying the same parts can create a tolerence differences. Also assembly precedures can add to this variable percent range. The Z06 is the first Corvette not to show signs og major variences. Most LS6 engines are putting out more than the 385hp/405hp claim.Better parts and better build out.

Stan A

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom