Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How can I become more stealthy

Laser test

It's hard to say were the reflection came from.It does not take a large area to get reflection.Try these two web sights they have a lot of data on the subject.speedzones.com and speedlabs.com
If the officer is well trained he will get a reflection. also look at info on blinder and F40 laser jammers. Good luck

First, to be stealthy, you need to either absorb or reflect the radar or laser in such a way as it does not return to the source. Laser relies on wavelengths in the 900-950 nanometer range, which puts it right in infrared territory (not visible to the human eye.) Conventional camera film can be easily found that will photograph up to about 925 nanometers, but any further requires special equipment and nothing (at least that I know of) can see beyond 1350 nanometers. To see which paint is best, you'd need equipment that photographs only within the 900-950 nanometer range. Just because your paint doesn't reflect visible light (black corvettes) doesn't mean that it also absorbs infrared. I've had an infrared photograph taken of me wearing a black cotton t-shirt, and it came out white in the picture because of all the infrared that it was reflecting.

It goes without saying, however, that the paint not be metallic as the flakes will almost definitely reflect radar. The fact that the 'Vette's body is SMC and the radiator is angled downward contribute to its stealthiness. A front plate will reflect both laser and radar, so don't put one on.

From the rear, you're screwed. The tail lights and license plate will reflect the laser. The flat-sided gas tanks and frame bumper rail will reflect the radar.

It is possible, however, to cover your rear lights and license plate with a material that will refract the laser and lessen its effective distance.

Keep in mind that nothing will make you invisible to either laser or radar, all you can do is lessen the effective distance.

Quick lesson: Infrared is not the same as thermal imaging. The special vision that the hunter in the movie "Predator" has was thermal, or strictly heat vision. Infrared is a form of electromagnetic radiation just like visible light that just happens to be also created by warm objects. In essense, all warm things "glow", just not in a wavelength that we can normally see. We glow at a wavelength of around 940 nanometers. Infrared radiation (non-ionizing and, thus, non-cancerous) is blocked by things that normal light tends to pass through, such as normal windows and plastics.

Radar et al

As I remember from the days when I was handing out tickets - instead of receiving them, ANY 90 degree piece of metal in your car is going to produce a return os some sort. This means the heater box, glove box, metal am/fm radio box - anything. If you are on a busy road with other vehicles it is unlikely that the return from a Vette will be stronger thatn the one from the Volvo in the next lane - so the Volvo registers. If on the otherhand you are the ONLY traffic on the road ......................
Up here in Canada most judges will find visual evidence as in
I saw the cherry Red Camarao in the left lane passing everything else and the radar registered 110 to be adequate. So I usually went on a conservative estimate of vehicle speed backed up by the radar reading.
Now that I'm driving a Vette of course ... Allbets are off :)

Re: Radar et al

baby blue 75 said:
ANY 90 degree piece of metal in your car is going to produce a return os some sort. This means the heater box, glove box, metal am/fm radio box - anything. If you are on a busy road with other vehicles it is unlikely that the return from a Vette will be stronger thatn the one from the Volvo in the next lane - so the Volvo registers. If on the otherhand you are the ONLY traffic on the road ......................

Bingo. The less your signature, the harder to pick you out. If you're the only car, then the effective range is lessened. (Nutshell? Where?)

With the reflectivity being the issue, lets say that I Zaino the entire car. The only way that a laser will reflect back to the transmitter is if the officer is extremely lucky or I have my lights on. Does this extend the laser detector's potential of determing that I am being lased and for me to take appropriate action.

On a different tangent, is there a way to determine how strong of a signal from Radar does an officer receive from reflecting off the car depending on the direction that the radar is being transmitted from. If so, then it should be relatively easy to modify or to add to the natural stealthiness of this vehicle.

Another Stealth Technique

Another way to be stealthy as you drive down the highway is: When you see a big rig in the middle or low speed lane, get in front of him and you can get on it and be invisible, because they can't see you. (Unless you blow by them at 100 mph while they are sitting on the side of the road.) They won't have you until it's too late.

We've all used the technique of getting behind buses and trucks and those are valid. I used that a lot on the Jersey turnpike.

Steathy driving techniques also is how we blend in to traffic. Lets face it in CT everyone speeds. The problem is that the officers don't have enough tickets. How we get more than our fair share of them is obvious, vette owners must have money. By constant lane shifting and from what I've seen aggressive driving habits by some, has sullied all of us.

Its not that I want to merely drive fast that I own a vette. It is the engineering that went in to our vehicles that make it truely a priviledge to drive. The car I own does and will always attract attention. But, I don't want to be penalized by the prejudice that is fostered by people who take risks that puts everyone in jeaporty (sp.).

Now for my question, what additional modification to the car would add to the steathy characteristics of the car would you consider.

singledad,
First let me say that you are right on about many states lumping the driving habits of some into the Corvette driver pool. Most of those people would drive that way regardless of the vehicle make or type.
Now, to make your Vette more stealthy, attach a large painting of a Yugo to the sides of your Vette, try that for about a week. Then remove it, the Police will still be rolling on the ground laughing their asses off and you should be able to fly past unnoticed. :L :L :L
Other than that, I'm at a loss....
vettepilot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom