Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How critical is 120 Reserve Capacity for an early C5?

hunt4cleanair

Corvette
1978 SA L48 & MIL Yel C5 Conv
So, the OEM battery spec for a 2000 is a battery with a reserve capacity of 120 amps to manage electrical requirements that include the column lock deal.

My second Delco battery has failed its test so as I seek a replacement, I am concluding AC Delco has abandoned its OEM clientele and offers only a 110 RC with its new 78 PS series. Considering I place the original in 2008, I got some got good life expectancy out of this Delco battery.

As I search options, Duralast offers a service replacemtn with 115 RC, Optima offers 120 RC but tagged with a $220 price tag.

So just how important is this 120 RC and can we slide back to 110 if the choice is to stick with OEM?

Your experiences and insights welcome. :ugh

So, the OEM battery spec for a 2000 is a battery with a reserve capacity of 120 amps to manage electrical requirements that include the column lock deal.

My second Delco battery has failed its test so as I seek a replacement, I am concluding AC Delco has abandoned its OEM clientele and offers only a 110 RC with its new 78 PS series. Considering I place the original in 2008, I got some got good life expectancy out of this Delco battery.

As I search options, Duralast offers a service replacemtn with 115 RC, Optima offers 120 RC but tagged with a $220 price tag.

So just how important is this 120 RC and can we slide back to 110 if the choice is to stick with OEM?

Your experiences and insights welcome. :ugh

The 78PS (silver) is a 6year rated battery with a 30 mos free replacement, and the 78PG (gold) is a 7 year rated battery with a 42 mos free replcement, and I am pretty sure that the 78PG is a 120RC battery. Truthfully you would probably be just fine with a 110RC, but for a few $$ more the 120RC I think it is worth having. I will try and remember to check tomorrow on the 78PG rating.

For my C5, I bought the biggest AC Delco that fit in the tray. My daughter's s/o worked at a local dealership. ;) In addition buy a LMC5 also.

I would say you probably would be fine with a 110RC, but like LLC5 said, for a few bucks more, you can have the right one.

I've heard the same story before about the parts guys saying there isn't one with 120RC, but if you press them with the correct part number, they can get it.

The 78PS (silver) is a 6year rated battery with a 30 mos free replacement, and the 78PG (gold) is a 7 year rated battery with a 42 mos free replcement, and I am pretty sure that the 78PG is a 120RC battery. Truthfully you would probably be just fine with a 110RC, but for a few $$ more the 120RC I think it is worth having. I will try and remember to check tomorrow on the 78PG rating.

Forgot to add that the Chevy dealer, parts dept said that series has been replaced by another series and the 120 is no longer available

I would say you probably would be fine with a 110RC, but like LLC5 said, for a few bucks more, you can have the right one.

I've heard the same story before about the parts guys saying there isn't one with 120RC, but if you press them with the correct part number, they can get it.

Is 19001632 the correct part number and does the parts counter have to pull up a different parts database...like "new old stock (NOS)?"

Here is what I found: 78VPG 800CCA - 110RC, 78DTPS 800CCA 115RC, 78 DTPG (top and side posts on battery) 875CCA 120RC, 78PG 800CCA 110RC.

Here is what I found: 78VPG 800CCA - 110RC, 78DTPS 800CCA 115RC, 78 DTPG (top and side posts on battery) 875CCA 120RC, 78PG 800CCA 110RC.

Thx Master Tech!

I'd recommend buying or building a float charger. No matter how long your Corvette sits; the battery is always fully charged. Unlike a trickle charger, a float charger will not overcharge a battery.

Any time my Corvette sits in the garage I have my "Battery Tender" hooked up to the battery.

I'd recommend buying or building a float charger. No matter how long your Corvette sits; the battery is always fully charged. Unlike a trickle charger, a float charger will not overcharge a battery.

Ideally this is the best set up if you have access to 120V. Keep an inexpensive battery fully charged and it will last a long time, and an expensive battery a really long time. The best plan to stop a battery from going bad is to keep it as fully charged as possible to deter sulfation which occurs when the voltage goes down, and it will take out any battery, inexpensive or expensive.

I keep a CTEK on it. So I ended up with a 78VPG 800 CCA 110 RC. It replaced a 110 RC in 2008 that replaced the original. So I'm getting eight years out of the AC Delco batteries. I guess I can't complain battery life. It just seems like I just replaced it.

I keep a CTEK on it. So I ended up with a 78VPG 800 CCA 110 RC. It replaced a 110 RC in 2008 that replaced the original. So I'm getting eight years out of the AC Delco batteries. I guess I can't complain battery life. It just seems like I just replaced it.

You did well with your battery life, and the maintainer definitely helped it.

As far as time goes, I used to double the amount of time that I thought had had passed (if I thought it was 2 years I would say 4 and be close), now I have to triple it..........

Ideally this is the best set up if you have access to 120V. Keep an inexpensive battery fully charged and it will last a long time, and an expensive battery a really long time. The best plan to stop a battery from going bad is to keep it as fully charged as possible to deter sulfation which occurs when the voltage goes down, and it will take out any battery, inexpensive or expensive.

As usual, as Wheeler Dealers would say: Spot on!!

Causes of battery sulfation:
  • Batteries sit too long between charges. As little as 24 hours in hot weather and several days in cooler weather.
  • Battery is stored without some type of energy input.
  • Undercharging of a battery to only 90% of capacity will allow sulfation of the battery using the 10% of battery chemistry not reactivated by not completing the charging cycle.
  • Low electrolyte level - battery plates exposed to air will immediately sulfate.
  • Incorrect charging levels and settings. Rolls recommends a 3-phase charge cycle (Bulk, Absorption & Float). See State of Charge & charging information.
  • The longer a battery sits and is not re-charged the more damaging sulfation build up there may be on the plates.

http://support.rollsbattery.com/support/solutions/articles/5964-battery-sulfation

As a float charger keeps the battery at "full" charge; it is a better than charging every few days.. Plug it in and pretty much forget it..

Solar battery maintenance and float charger Solar is a bit more expensive to buy or build.. Personally, I enjoy building electronic "stuff." Often, it costs me more than buying it ready made from China.. :chuckle

PS: To stir the pot... I don't see the difference 10 amps of reserve capacity will make unless one is living way too close to the edge. ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom