Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do and where do I go to fix my wheels

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
The guy before me loved the curb. Big time I mean all four wheels have war scaring on them and they seemed to have lost the battle.

I put on some pictures to show you guys where the war wounds are.

But also the finish on them is "Blotchy" I'd like to have them redone. Is this possible? and if so have much should I be looking at.

(wish I could attach more than one at a time Lol)

:L

One more aren't they terrible! From far away they look wonderful in close EEeeewww!:eyerole

Probably see why Id like to paint the cailpers and the hub part of the rotors. (Cross Drilled would look sweet to)

BigRed,

I know I've seen articles in CorvetteFever as well as ads in Hemminging's for straightening and refinishing wheels.

Might want to send that guy some curb feelers for Christmas and give him a good:SLAP

Rick

As far as cost I have no idea.

I looked into having some gold Subaru wheels refinished for what looked like light curb rash. Turned out that they were slightly bent at the impact points and were just lightly out of true. However, between the sanding, repainting, and straightening, the shop (Ye Olde Wheel Shop on Rt. 1, Elkridge, MD - they advertise in AutoWeek) wanted $125 PER WHEEL to fix, plus cost of buying the paint. I walked. IMHO, at that price it's cheaper to buy a decent set of aftermarket ones and use the originals for track tires (or snow tires).
[RICHR]

Thats exactly what I figured. I mean these wheels are somewhat low end and not to bad to replace. My dad told me to keep them for slalom and drag racing, and to buy nice ones for my main...Its just going to take a couple years Ive spent all my restoration dough pretty much and I got college and a wedding to save for.

But on the bright side I did find the wheels I want and as long as everything checks out the 2000+ C5 wheels from Corvette America seems to be the ones Im going to go with. They are fairly cheap, good looking so forth. All I have to check it how easy are they to put on my car (according to them they are custom made to my offest) and the quality of them.

Someday real soon!:beer

In my professional career pursuits, we often have a need to send our customer's rims out for reconditioning. This most often pops up in situations where it is a rare rim that can't easily be replaced.

I have personally had a handful of rims rebuilt and been extremely happy with all of them. There are a dozen or more companies doing this work, and looking in the back of Autoweek is a good start for one, then let your fingers do the walking. I have done business with three different ones.

A place in MD, TX, and CA. I have had IROC, Corvette, and misc, rims reconditioned. About the most you will pay is $125 per wheel. It usually breaks down like $25 to strip, $60 to straighten, and $40 to refinish, then shipping and handling.

The good and bad news is, the wheel comes back looking perfect and brand new, yet the down time can be inexcess of three weeks.

Good custom aftermarket C4 wheels will run you $300 each. So, for the average guy, $125 each plus shipping is the best route to go, if you really like the rims.

On the flip side, having a set for Autocross/drag racing ready to go sitting in the garage aint a bad thing either.

The most expensive reconditioning I have ever done was on the 90 vette. We sent one of those back to CA to be stripped, straightened, and re-chromed. It took nearly five weeks to get the wheel back, and about $200. However, where was I going to get a good unbent 1990 (only one year looks like them) rim that was already chrome plated???????

The wheel came back looking so SCHWEEEEEEEET, it ended up being worth the wait, plus the car rides sooooooo smoooooooth now without that bent wheel.

BTW, Just my .02, but you might be better served anyway to let those rims slip into retirement and/or race duty.

It is funny how styles will date a car much like clothing, etc. etc. When I see those rims I think about the Bilet Aluminum craze of the early/mid 90's and the rush to get the hardest angled saw blade look possible.

What is even better, is 10-15 years from now rim compaines will be reproducing that style as people attempt to recapture that look. Kind of like the Torque Thrust D craze that finally appears to be fading out.

Now, if you are not considering at least an 18" rim for an aftermarket replacement, it is kind of like, why bother?

I saw a C4 at an autocross event early this year from Central Florida. The fellow had put a set of centerline 18" wheels and Michilen Pilot Sport tires on there. That car looked so freaky cool, especially from a distance. Now when I see 16" rims and the old 255 50 ZR16 profile rubber, they look like granny wheels to me:L

That'd be great, if 18" *tires* weren't so freaking expensive... I'll be happy with a set of 17's, and I might go with those that 86Targa mentioned in another thread. $950 for a set of 17x9.5 5-spokes with logos.
[RICHR]

Aye I agree the 18's look awsome but WOW MAN look at the exact same tire in a 17" size then go to a 18" size LOL We talking 200 to 400 bucks a boot!

To much for me to deal with especially the way I drive, I like to power slide, drag race/street race, do lil burn outs for buds

My Ideal summer takes about 2 rotations of the tires and about 50-60% off the rubber having fun.

18" would be a house payment LOL

The 2000 C5 Chrome ones I think look cool, and the size Id like is 17x9.5

I was curious though for a wider tire on the rear (I know these rims handle 255/50 R17's) can I go with a 275/50 R17? just for fun? That'd look sweet

NOnonononononononon, they are not that high.

Nikki just bought a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 tires for the back of her 2000 (18") for $155 per tire from tirerack.com

You can also go with a Kumo and actually come in cheaper than most 275-40 ZR 17 tires.

Canadain Monopoly money bud!

Quotes from Costco are for the Michelin tires

255/50 R17 is about 250-300
and the 18's he said was around 300+ depending on what speed rating I wanted.

WHOA wait a sec I just did the math on Nikki's

It around 238 per tire! thats not bad AT ALL!

BRB Going to TireRack to check that out WAHOO 18's hehehee

255/50 R17
Bridgestone Potenza RE730 Gen. 2 (Generation 2) 155$

255/50 R18 (Front and rear for now)
PZero Asimmetrico (Asymmetrical) Size:255/50-18 216$

Thats all the Tire rack gave me as options on either 17 or 18 ZR rated tires..

Total..

17" 238$ (Bridgestone)
18" 332$ (Pirelli) <--Not a fan of anyways

I forgot about the Canadian exchange rate.

Her fronts are 17", and I don't recall the price on those. It is somewhere around $650 out the door for all four US money on the F1 Good years (18" back 17" front).

However, I just dropped ----ready for this-------$1,550 on a set of four 18" Michelin Pilot Sports for my 69!!!!!

It was either them or the Pzero. The Perelli set was about $100 cheaper, and not in stock.

Check KUMO out. You will be very pleased with the 18, 19, and 20" tire prices they have.

I heard they are a fairly rough tire though am I right? Id like to keep the ride somewhat nicer but racey at the same time and I think Ive had good luck with the Michelin over the BFG (Amazing how different they are considering they are they same company)

Speaking of tires, apparently Pirelli has this follow-on to the P-Zero called the P-Zero Nero (no joke). One of the oddest tread patterns I've yet seen and four water channels. No idea what prices will be like, but C&D liked the tires during their initial trial. They're supposed to be great gripping in wet and dry, long-lived (new carbon formula) and not as harsh or loud as the predecessor P-Zeros. Anyone know any more?
[RICHR]

Good news..

Ive REALLY been going at the wheels with emery and SOS pads now I just have to take a Die grinder to clear up the road rash on them.

They are looking almost chrome now, Im telling ya SOS is a marvelous product believe it or not!

After Im ALL done with them I going to have the tires removed and then I can get right in there sort of speak on my bench with power tools.

Hey Big Red

Did you ever check out E-Bay..??? There is a company AFS selling ZR1 look alikes with 9.5 and 11 inch widths with Khumos installed and balanced.. you can get chromes and painted ones.. I got a set of chromes for the 91.. they are very nice.. Good deals sometimes as not too many bids occasionally.

P.S. .. is your car shiney yet??

Do you have a recent pic??

I can go take one now actually Lol but money is my limiter ATM so Im trying to make do (Wedding and tutition etc..) but the wheels Im after are in Corvette America they are the 2000 C5 wheels (Chrome)

Wheels are the very last thing i do to my corvette, hehe

is there a way to just spray chrome onto my wheels,, will that look good,, i think it would,,,

i sprayed some engine parts with chrome and it truned out really nice

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom