Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do I change a Sideball Vent?

Ryan536

Corvette
1973 Black Stingray
Hello, I'm doing an interior restoration of my 1973 Vette. Of course the car has fought me the entire way. Nothing has been easy (or so it seems). Surprisingly I changed the passenger sideball vent with very little trouble. Now how do I do the drivers side without tearing the whole car apart. I can't get the dash cluster (speedo/tach) out. The only thing that gets in the way is the steering column. Do I have to remove the column? Is there a way to cheat or something I'm not seeing. I finally caved in and ordered the assembly manual but I won't see it for a few weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You have to drop the steering column in order to remove the dash pad. Got the '73 assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The AIM has a several diagrams of the dash installation which helps when doing dash work.

You might be able to reach the driver's side vent ball from the back of the dash. It's tight and dark back there.

:)

I am already warmed up for more swearing after installing Eckler's "Perfect Fit, Made to Original Specs Carpet". I'm glad I kept the old carpet around to use as templates. Some pieces weren't even close. I swore I got the carpet set for a Mustang.

I changed the ones on my 77, simply gave them a hard tug and they will pop out. Push the new ones into the retainer and thats it. Chuck

I changed the ones on my 77, simply gave them a hard tug and they will pop out. Push the new ones into the retainer and thats it. Chuck

Being able to tug them out only shows the felts are loose and should also be replaced.

:)

Yeah, There was no way I was going to able to pull them out. I'm not that strong! I finally got around to doing this job yesterday. My assembly manual came in and YES it is one the most important purchases I made for this restoration. Everyone should have one! BTW the job took about three hours to do - with about one hour of swearing - and one band aid when my socket wrench came off one of the steering column supports and nailed me square on the bridge of my nose. OUCH!
It's funny that I had the entire interior stripped out in one afternoon and now it's taken more than three months (off and on again work) to put it back together. All that's left are the seats and some trim to go!

Did mine the same way, works like charm.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom