Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do I check the Selective Suspension is operating

DennisC

I'm shopping an 01 C5 with the Selective Suspension option. How can I tell if its functioning properly? Is this a complicated system or just a three-way switch for solenoids in the shocks. Are replacement shocks really expensive or just normal expensive? Thanks for the help. You guys know your cars.

I'm shopping an 01 C5 with the Selective Suspension option. How can I tell if its functioning properly? Is this a complicated system or just a three-way switch for solenoids in the shocks. Are replacement shocks really expensive or just normal expensive? Thanks for the help. You guys know your cars.
i have never herd of that on a c5. do you have of any info on that?

I know the C4 had them, my 91 did. I remember reading that the competition mode won't engage until a certain speed.

I didn't know the C5 came with anything but active handling.

Jim

my c5 has the competitive driving but im not sure what it does wen i engage it

You might be referring to Magnetic ride ,which was an option on c-5's and C6's .I've never switched to Sport yet .Your question is very valid :D Lets both find out.

An 01, if it was ordered with the optional ride control system, will have a rotary switch on the center console. The system is called "Selective Real Time Damping" and, generally, is a ride enhancement, not a performance enhancement.

01's do not have "Magnaride". That was offered starting in 2003. 01s also do not have "Selective Ride Control" which was offered from 89-95.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell if the system is working, but find a road with a lot of slab joints or tar strips, drive at the speed limit, and switch the rotory switch among its various positions. You should not a change in ride harshness.

Also, when you turn the key on, the "service ride control" light should come on briefly then go off. If the light doesn't come on during "bulb check" after key-up or it comes on and stays on, then the system is not working properly and needs service.

Replacement shocks are quite expensive...about 900 bucks, each, as I recall.

Its actually the "Selective Real Time Damping SRTD)"

You might be referring to Magnetic ride ,which was an option on c-5's and C6's .I've never switched to Sport yet .Your question is very valid :D Lets both find out.

I looked it up in the "manual" link.

It is the "Selective Real Time Damping"

An 01, if it was ordered with the optional ride control system, will have a rotary switch on the center console. The system is called "Selective Real Time Damping" and, generally, is a ride enhancement, not a performance enhancement.

01's do not have "Magnaride". That was offered starting in 2003. 01s also do not have "Selective Ride Control" which was offered from 89-95.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell if the system is working, but find a road with a lot of slab joints or tar strips, drive at the speed limit, and switch the rotory switch among its various positions. You should not a change in ride harshness.

Also, when you turn the key on, the "service ride control" light should come on briefly then go off. If the light doesn't come on during "bulb check" after key-up or it comes on and stays on, then the system is not working properly and needs service.

Any idea on SRTD shock life?

so.....what is competetive driving. it is when you hold the traction control button on the center console for like 5 or 6 seconds it comes on but what does it do for the car?;help

so.....what is competetive driving. it is when you hold the traction control button on the center console for like 5 or 6 seconds it comes on but what does it do for the car?;help

Competitive mode leaves active handing enabled but disables traction control.

More like $700 each as I recall........GMPP replaced both of my fronts not long ago. A lot of that had to do with establishing friendships at the dealer with the service folks. I don't have any idea how they got that approval thru GMPP but they did! In spite of what we hear many times, there are some great dealer service dept. relationships to me had out there.

I had to replace one of my rear shocks @ 30k miles because it was leaking the rest are fine. You can find replacements for around $400 each if you look hard. I bought a used set with 15k miles on them for a good price. I figured even with 15k on them they have to be better than a leaky shock.

As far as the difference in ride yes I can definitely notice a difference in each setting. I've had others riding with me that don't notice any change. I guess its all in your bootay.

Ok one says 700 the other says 400.

My guess at 900 bucks was, like...pretty out there.
Sorry 'bout that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom