Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do I find the key number ?

roger longman

Corvette
1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
Hi all, How do I convert the ohm reading of my '88 ignition key to the key number ? ..thanks.....Roger....:confused

Hi all, How do I convert the ohm reading of my '88 ignition key to the key number ? ..thanks.....Roger....:confused

its not a conversion....its a chart with the ohms ranges as they fit a particular key code.

Everyone has a key reader...ACE hardware...Home Depot...most parts stores. I think the chart is here somewhere but I am not sure where.

Measure the resistance of the existing key using an ohmmeter then see the chart to get the correct key.

1———— 0.402
2———— 0.523
3———— 0.681
4————-0.887
5————-1.130
6————-1.470
7————-1.870
8————-2.370
9————-3.010
10————3.740
11————4.750
12————6.040
13————7.500
14————9.530
15————11.801

Hi guys, Thanks Boom, Yup I know it's a chart, bad choice of word. Thanks Toptech, that's what I needed to know but, the point is , that although no. 6 = 1.470, it actually takes from 1.411 to 1.549, no. 7 =1.870' takes from 1.795 to 1.965. The whole range for the 15 keys is from .386 to 12.292. So you need to know the range for your key..Thanks again......Roger....PS. None of the Chevy dealers I contacted in LA could do it, or supply the information,needed for Wolf Security on ebay, to supply.

Hi guys, Thanks Boom, Yup I know it's a chart, bad choice of word. Thanks Toptech, that's what I needed to know but, the point is , that although no. 6 = 1.470, it actually takes from 1.411 to 1.549, no. 7 =1.870' takes from 1.795 to 1.965. The whole range for the 15 keys is from .386 to 12.292. So you need to know the range for your key..Thanks again......Roger....PS. None of the Chevy dealers I contacted in LA could do it, or supply the information,needed for Wolf Security on ebay, to supply.

Nobody in LA could read and ID a VATS key?

Did you go to J&D Corvette in Bellflower or Mikes in Santa Ana? or West Coast in Anaheim?

I used to go to the dealership, but found that Ace hardware is quicker and easier...they read the key, the machine tells them which # blank, they tell you so you can save that info if you like, then they cut it. About $15 or less.

The more I think about it, the more I can see stealerships NOT having whats needed....after all, they only care about the new, not the classic or yesterdays products. Dealerships are NOT about Corvettes or Cameros, they're about 2011 Chevy-GM cars....law requires them to make parts available 10 yrs back. After that they are very unmotivated...Very. They could care a less.

Nobody in LA could read and ID a VATS key?

Did you go to J&D Corvette in Bellflower or Mikes in Santa Ana? or West Coast in Anaheim?

I used to go to the dealership, but found that Ace hardware is quicker and easier...they read the key, the machine tells them which # blank, they tell you so you can save that info if you like, then they cut it. About $15 or less.

The more I think about it, the more I can see stealerships NOT having whats needed....after all, they only care about the new, not the classic or yesterdays products. Dealerships are NOT about Corvettes or Cameros, they're about 2011 Chevy-GM cars....law requires them to make parts available 10 yrs back. After that they are very unmotivated...Very. They could care a less.

Hi Boom, J&D can't do it, Mikes Santa Ana is a restaurant, West Coast Corvette can't do it. The only one I found was Martin Chevrolet in Torrance and it would be $30.00. Of all that couldn't, Bunnin Chevrolet were the most helpful. Ace could cut it from my blank, at my risk ! As you almost said. They couldn't care less........Roger.

Hi Boom, J&D can't do it, Mikes Santa Ana is a restaurant, West Coast Corvette can't do it. The only one I found was Martin Chevrolet in Torrance and it would be $30.00. Of all that couldn't, Bunnin Chevrolet were the most helpful. Ace could cut it from my blank, at my risk ! As you almost said. They couldn't care less........Roger.

WOW !

thats a shock that the local vette shops can't even do it...I guess everyone has moved on...

I thought the jerks at corvettes of houston were bad.....that clown actually said ....." C4? hmmmm let me go find the box of computer punch cards and I'll see if we have it in stock...."
I responded to that and ask him if they treated the C2-C3 owners like that...and if they DON'T, then do not expect ME to come here to spend my money and be treated like I'm driving an Edsel.

For some reason the C4 seems to get less respect than any of the Corvette family...I fail to understand that.:confused

Hi Boom, Yes I'd have thought that the folks at GM would have put more pressure on their dealers, as, I think, some C4 drivers also have newer Vettes as well. If I remember correctly, didn't you live over this way before moving to Houston ?.....Roger.

Hi Boom, Yes I'd have thought that the folks at GM would have put more pressure on their dealers, as, I think, some C4 drivers also have newer Vettes as well. If I remember correctly, didn't you live over this way before moving to Houston ?.....Roger.

yessir...
I lived in Newport for quite a while before moving to Ventura where the "home office" was located....not by choice...but I enjoyed my time up there too..Had a condo where I could see the mast of the sailboats tied up in Ventura Harbor...from my front door. Life was good. I still call Ca "home".
I sure do miss PCH... There was no amount of grief that could'nt be 'fixed' by a drive down PCH at sunset. That saved my sanity more than once.

Almost ended up in prison enjoying the drive, too...but thats another story.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom