Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How do I get water spots off the glass?

Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
My wife's BMW has water spots from the lawn sprinklers. We had only a one car garage in the condominium where we used to live. The car was exposed to sprinklers for that whole time. We now have a multi-car garage and I want to get the last of the water spots off the paint and the glass, especially the glass.

Does anyone have products or techniques to suggest for this problem?

My wife's BMW has water spots from the lawn sprinklers. We had only a one car garage in the condominium where we used to live. The car was exposed to sprinklers for that whole time. We now have a multi-car garage and I want to get the last of the water spots off the paint and the glass, especially the glass.

This worked for me: Zaino Glass Polish...
http://www.zainocharlotte.com/products.htm#anchor38917

[FONT=Arial,Times,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Z-12 CLEAR-VIEW GLASS POLISH[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Times,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Finally, a glass cleaner and polish that really works. We have yet to find a stain that it did not remove. Formulated with modified cleaners and mild abrasives, that deep cleans and polishes all glass surfaces. Removes acid rain, water spots, road film, stubborn stains, annoying interior glass film and fine to medium scratches. This product will remove plasticizing (the hazy film that attaches to the inside of the windshield on all late model vehicles) in one application. Leaves glass crystal clear and sparkling. You will think the glass disappeared. Will not scratch or distort glass. Great for restoring old windshields. Can also be used to clean chrome and metal surfaces. For hand or machine use. Not for use on Coated Glass, painted or plastic surfaces.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks! Good suggestion. I was using a cleaner compound that I got at a local car parts place. It has helped, but it is not aggressive enough.

Have you tried clay bar?

No, I have always been afraid to try clay bar. I may have to try that. I ordered some Zaino stuff for the windows and paint. I will use it first and see if it is satisfactory.

Claybar is the best thing I have ever found for the problem you describe. Take it to a body shop, they will claybar it off. .

i use vinager

For glass, the one thing that can really clean just about anything off glass is Bon Ami. I apply it with either a sponge or a square of non-abrasive grade (color coded white) Standard Abrasives Brite-Rite Handipads.

As for the paint, if the water spots did not etch your clear coat, the other suggestions here about claybar, etc. work well. On the other hand, if the calcium etched your clear coat--which often happens if the surface was not waxed or polished before the water hit it--basically, you're screwed. Claybar or rubbing compound may mitigate the damage somewhat, but you'll never be able to get rid of the etching unless you repaint or at least reclear the areas where the spots are.

Speaking of clay bar...

I didn't do the glass but I clay barred my car this past weekend for the first time...WOW! I have always kept it clean and waxed so I didn't expect it to make a difference. I couldn't believe the crud it pulled off the paint. Then I waxed the car with a cleaner/wax and what a shine! I used the Mcquire's clay bar kit. Included everything. I drove it yesterday and I got a lot of compliments. Makes all the work worth it!:)

For glass, the one thing that can really clean just about anything off glass is Bon Ami. I apply it with either a sponge or a square of non-abrasive grade (color coded white) Standard Abrasives Brite-Rite Handipads.

As for the paint, if the water spots did not etch your clear coat, the other suggestions here about claybar, etc. work well. On the other hand, if the calcium etched your clear coat--which often happens if the surface was not waxed or polished before the water hit it--basically, you're screwed. Claybar or rubbing compound may mitigate the damage somewhat, but you'll never be able to get rid of the etching unless you repaint or at least reclear the areas where the spots are.

I forgot about the Bon Ami fix, we used to keep a can and polish our windshields with it. Good call Hib !

Bon Ami, the scouring powder? It won't scratch the glass?

Isn't that the same stuff people used to pour down the carbs on the '55 265ci Chevy small block?

Jim, I don't know about pouring it down carbs, but my neighbor uses Bon Ami all the time on his vehicles. I too completly forgot about the stuff until Hib mentioned it.
I have to do the window on my convertible top. It too has water marks on it.

I posted some info on this topic last November, check it out: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=857362&postcount=6

Ralph

I used the Bon Ami and got rid of 90%+ of the spots. I need to work with it some more on a warmer day. Then there is the paint... :eyerole

I used the Bon Ami and got rid of 90%+ of the spots. I need to work with it some more on a warmer day. Then there is the paint... :eyerole

Jim, when I took delivery of my 07, I noticed watermarks on the clearcoat. I was from sitting in the yard and car lots getting crapped up. The dealer did a decent job prepping it for delivery. When I got it home, I used my Porter Cable buffer with Meguirs Paint Cleaner. I took my time with the process and the looks great!!! After that, I hit it with my Adams polish and have recieved nothing but compliments on the car!!

This WILL blow your mind

I've owned 7 Corvettes personally and restored about a dozen over the last 30 years,I've concoured and car showed all this time.
I'm pretty anal when it comes to the finishes on my cars.
Every spring I take SOS pads and scrub the glass front and sides to remove road film, waterspots and whatever.

I then take glass cleaner or vinegar and water and clean them again.
Final step I WAX all the glass in and out except the windshield,you have to polish like crazy to remove swirls but the results are amazing.

I also use SOS to take rust spots, winter grime and imperfections off chrome,NOT chrome plated plastic.
After 30 years I've never damaged either glass or chrome pieces.
Try these on your beater driver,Ithink you'll be impressed.:beer

on water spot on the clear .weather you need to repaint or not would depend if the deposits have gone all the way through the clear . i had this problem with an artic white i just bought and took my waterbug by hutchin to her and luckily i still nhad clear left after sanding them out i used 1200 followed by 2000 then 3000 . 3-m rubbing compound with the rotary brought the shine back then used 3m ultra finawith the pc with a polishing pad . 2 coats of liquid glass and she shines like new

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom